Learn to Code Playgrounds no longer work with Swift Playgrounds 4

After updating to Swift Playgrounds 4 my non-M1 (Intel) MacBook Pro is no longer able to run the "Learn to Code" playgrounds (I also updated those to the newest versions which are based on Swift 5.3). I'm using the latest version of Mac OS Monterey. Here is the error I am receiving:

"The operation couldn’t be completed. (PlaygroundBuild.BuildSystem.BuildError error 0.)"

Here is the verbose error message:

"Error: /Applications/Playgrounds.app/Contents/Resources/Mac Catalyst.platform/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATSUI.framework/Modules/module.modulemap:2: umbrella for module 'ApplicationServices.ATSUI' already covers this directory Error: /Applications/Playgrounds.app/Contents/Resources/Mac Catalyst.platform/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATSUI.framework/Modules/module.modulemap:4: inferred submodules require a module with an umbrella Error: /Applications/Playgrounds.app/Contents/Resources/Mac Catalyst.platform/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSEvent.h:10: could not build module 'ApplicationServices' Error: /Applications/Playgrounds.app/Contents/Resources/Mac Catalyst.platform/MacOSX.sdk/System/iOSSupport/System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/Headers/NSToolbar+UIKitAdditions.h:14: could not build module 'AppKit' Error: could not build Objective-C module 'UIKit'"

I am able to run these playgrounds successfully on my M-1 Mac mini - so guessing it is a problem related to using an intel-based mac with Playgrounds 4??

I've scoured the discussion boards and don't see anyone else reporting this issue (I did submit a bug report to Apple).

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

• I have this exact same issue with the new MacBook Pro M1 Max. So, it is not an Intel-only issue.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Took awhile - but I just got feedback/resolution from Apple (I submitted this issue via Feedback Assistant). The solution was simple (I should have tried it on my own probably): Delete the Swift Playgrounds App and Re-install it. It worked!

Replies

I was able to a new Learn to Code 1 playground on an Intel-based 16" MacBook Pro.

Try creating a new one and see if that fixes the issue. It's probably not ideal if you lose your place, but may get you going until Apple fixes (submit Feedback inside the iPad app with the "..." or via developer feedback.)

Add a Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I just created a new Learn to Code 1 and unfortunately got exactly the same result (no go) and the same error message. I did submit feedback (same info as in this discussion thread) via the developer feedback app on my MacBook when I first noticed the problem.

Took awhile - but I just got feedback/resolution from Apple (I submitted this issue via Feedback Assistant). The solution was simple (I should have tried it on my own probably): Delete the Swift Playgrounds App and Re-install it. It worked!