Playback and recording sound without embedded audio processing

I'm developing an iPhone application and want to playback and record sound from the bottom speaker and microphone without any embedded audio processing. If I use the following code, the sound comes from the top speaker. If I also add "try playbackSession.setCategory(AVAudioSession.Category.multiRoute)" then the sound comes from both the top and bottom speaker. If I use any other setMode than measurement, then there is an embedded audio processing that I want to avoid.

playbackSession = AVAudioSession.sharedInstance()

do { try playbackSession.overrideOutputAudioPort(AVAudioSession.PortOverride.speaker)       try playbackSession.setMode(AVAudioSession.Mode.measurement))         } catch {print("Playing over the device's speakers failed")         }

• Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this problem?

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

I got this answer from apple support regarding this issue. This solved my problem. I hadn't added the option mixWithOthers.

With the following code (in a basic iOS app from the Xcode template, using Xcode 13.2 with iOS 15.2):

override func viewDidLoad() {
super.viewDidLoad()
    let session = AVAudioSession.sharedInstance()
     try! session.setCategory(.playAndRecord, mode: .measurement, options: [.mixWithOthers, .defaultToSpeaker])
     try! session.setActive(true)

print(session.currentRoute)
  }

I get the following output:

<AVAudioSessionRouteDescription: 0x28348c9a0, 
inputs = (
  "<AVAudioSessionPortDescription: 0x28348c960, type = MicrophoneBuiltIn; name = iPhone Microphone; UID = Built-In Microphone; selectedDataSource = Bottom>"
); 
outputs = (
  "<AVAudioSessionPortDescription: 0x28348c8e0, type = Speaker; name = Speaker; UID = Speaker; selectedDataSource = (null)>"
)>

That seems to be what you want: both input and output at the bottom of the device. Is this the configuration you’re looking for?

Replies

I got this answer from apple support regarding this issue. This solved my problem. I hadn't added the option mixWithOthers.

With the following code (in a basic iOS app from the Xcode template, using Xcode 13.2 with iOS 15.2):

override func viewDidLoad() {
super.viewDidLoad()
    let session = AVAudioSession.sharedInstance()
     try! session.setCategory(.playAndRecord, mode: .measurement, options: [.mixWithOthers, .defaultToSpeaker])
     try! session.setActive(true)

print(session.currentRoute)
  }

I get the following output:

<AVAudioSessionRouteDescription: 0x28348c9a0, 
inputs = (
  "<AVAudioSessionPortDescription: 0x28348c960, type = MicrophoneBuiltIn; name = iPhone Microphone; UID = Built-In Microphone; selectedDataSource = Bottom>"
); 
outputs = (
  "<AVAudioSessionPortDescription: 0x28348c8e0, type = Speaker; name = Speaker; UID = Speaker; selectedDataSource = (null)>"
)>

That seems to be what you want: both input and output at the bottom of the device. Is this the configuration you’re looking for?