Diskmanagement.disenter error 49218

Hello everyone,

I'm having a little issue with mounting my external hard drive lately. I've tried quite a few methods in hope of getting it to work again, but so far, no luck. I hope someone can help me solve this issue, or those who have the same problem may also share your insights.

My external hard drive was working fine about a week ago. But one day, I ejected the hard drive and the icon disappeared, so I thought it was safe to unplug it. When I did, it said the hard drive was not properly removed. It still works fine when I use it the next day, but the same thing happened. It said the drive was not properly removed after I ejected the drive, waited for the icon to disappear, and then unplugged the drive. After that, it never works again, and the attached images are the info I got when I tried to mount or run first aid on this drive.

Please help & thank you in advance!

Computer: 27" iMac - MacOS Monterey

External Hard Drive: WD_Black 4TB. APFS encrypted

Did you read my post from above? If you plug your APFS disks in an iPad Pro iOS can see the partition and you can copy your data safely and reformat the drive. If you need more assistance let me know.

My disk was an Samsung 8 TB SSD an 870 QVO with 8000 GB. Returned it. With the 870 QVO 4000 GB model I had no problems. Hard to say is it MacOS causing the problem or was it the hardware. I assume it was MacOS, because I first got a replacement disk, but it had the same problem:

• initialising
  • partitioning as APFS or HFS+ (tried both)
  • first I could write and read to disk
  • after first removal from USB port, they didn't reconnect again
  • both new disks

I just went from an older version of macbook pro to the new M1 with Monterey. Whenever I get the issue you are all talking about I have to take the hard drive to my old mac and mount it there. After that, it works again on my M1. I guess it's the same as with the iPad solution. I just wanted to post it as I see a patters here. Obviously there's some bug in Moneterey and other OS systems are able to fix it, but not Monterey. So weather you have an Ipad or another mac with a different operating system, then it should work. Hope they fix it in later versions

Me too... Old TimeCapsule, working fine since. We lost a MacBoook, so we bought a new one w/Monterey and tried to restore from Time Machine. After a couple of hours, the TM disk is "empty". Put the disk on a different driver, we can see three partitions, the interesting one is 998GB in size, choched full, and it is not possible to mount. Disk Utility cannot repair the disk, something wrong with the partition allocation map.

Same issue here. I am a professional photography and use external hard drives all the time with NO issues. I bought a new Macbook Pro M1 and now I cant access any of my drives but 1. I have no idea what is going on. I am able to install bootcamp and use the APFS for windows by Paragon Software mounter to access the drive. So it is definitely a probably with the new OS on the MAc. But even my older Mac's can no longer access the External Hard Drives that I have been using for YEARS!!! Anyone have a fix? Please. I CANNOT lose any of the data nor the organization. WE are talking like 10TB of info that CANNOT be lost.

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities (https://discussions.apple.com) run by Apple Support.

Dud how in the world is that still a thing @ apple. My iMac crashed and then my ssd won't mount … sudo pkill -f fsck doenst work for me. fix it dudes …

I had the same issue. Is this issue fixed in APFS version shipped in Ventura ?

Been having this issue with he same 49218 error appear on several external SSD's that were disconnected without a proper unmount. In the past doing ejects and unmounts from the terminal allowed the drive to reconnect but no luck this time around. You can see in the screenshot the OS can see my partition but it will not mount, the greyed out partition. I am now at a loss as well, no idea how to continue to troubleshoot. Seeing as I've seen this issue on multiple drive's over the past year or so, Apple needs to get it together and fix. Unmount, eject and trying to remount does not work, first aid does not work.

Computer: 27" iMac - MacOS Ventura 13.1 External Hard Drive: Toshiba 4TB - APFS. I'm having the same issue, after a power cut. iBoysoft Data Recovery can see and rescue the data but not the folder . I'm on the trial version now (so if I don't want to pay near 100 USD, I can rescue only 1Gb). I'm still looking how make the hard drive resuscitate. As far as I heard the bug can be on the format (APFS) and the kind of disc (not SSD).

Still 0 fix for this error 49218 MacOS bug ?

+1 for this problem. My drive is a raided SSD in a PCIe slot of a Mac Pro 2019. Worked fine one day, not the next.

I've been using OS 11 for the past year and it was so solid. I just upgraded to 12.6.2 and new issues pop up like this every other day. The OS12 is so flaky, I can't imagine what OS13 is like!

Sytem updated to Ventura 13.1. Now can't access 4 TB drive. Now trying disk image.

Was working before.

Still have data as can see it on my windows laptop

Same exact issue as everyone else. Drive was working fine for days, and then a power issue caused the drive to not mount. Works fine on iPad, which means the drive is fine. FIX IT APPLE!

PLEASE HELP ME! the same thing happens to me. I have a SD memory transcend 1TB in APFS format. However in iPhone I can read it. This happened on Monterry and now with Ventura 13.1

Diskmanagement.disenter error 49218

Q