Capture GPU Frame fail

I am using Xcode 12.5.1 on macOS BigSur (11.6.1).

I have upgraded my iPhone6 to iOS 12.5.5 and since then the Metal replayer is quitting before the end of the replay.

It was working fine with iOS 12.5.4. I have tried Xcode 13 (and Xcode 13 beta) and I have the same issue.

Is there a way to debug/profile Metal code on these older devices ?

Regards

David

Replies

Hi r2d3,

I am sorry you are running into this issue. Our recommendation is to always use the latest versions of the operating systems and tools. This will allow you to benefit from the latest advances and improvements in the GPU capture toolchain.

For older builds of the tooling, there are a few steps you could try to make sure Xcode and iOS are able to communicate correctly:

1. Unplug your device from the Mac.
  2. Reboot the device.
  3. Re-connect the device to the Mac.

I would also recommend you file a Feedback Assistant ticket with us, providing the GPU frame capture after exporting it from Xcode, as well as any crashlogs for the MTLReplayer process you may find in the Console app. This would help us further investigate the problem.

Hi,

I filed a Feedback for this old iOS frame capture issue.

I understand that we should use latest version of macOS/Xcode/iOS for be able to debug/profile Metal code. However, our use case is to debug a problem that is only reproducible on iPhone 6s (for which max iOS available is 12.5.5).

Disconnect/reboot/reconnect solves this issue for the iPhone 6S under 12.5.5.

An other issue is MTLLibrary is crashing in newFunctionWithName or in internal readBytes (when committing a MTLCommandBuffer) when:

• metal library is compiled with source+driver info embedded (-MO or -frecord-sources option)
  • frame capture is enabled
  • iOS deployment version is lower than device iOS version

Should I file a radar for this one ?

Regards

David

• Hello, How did you finally solve the crash after enable GPU Frame Capture. I'm currently having the same problem

• i can't solve the issue even if i disconnect/reboot/reconnect iphone

• By any chance are you using Lightning cables? I wonder if these capture fails can be attributed to failing Lightning cables.

Add a Comment

Hi David,

I'm glad that you were able to solve the problem you had described earlier!

The newFunctionWithName and the readBytes problems you describe appear not to be related. Unfortunately, we need more information to help you diagnose what the cause could be. I would recommend following with two separate Feedback Assistant tickets, one for each issue. Please don't forget to post the numbers here so I can help route them to the appropriate teams.