"app" is damaged and can't be opened

Hi,

My mac application update is under development. For testing purpose, I have code signed my application using "Apple Development". But, the team is not able to launch the application. They get the error: "***" is damaged and can't be opened. Delete "***" and download it again from the AppStore. I am archiving the application using XCode13 in Monterey 11.01.

I remember it was working few days back.

The certificate is valid and it is going to expire on Dec 17th. Since, I am using Push Notification service, I have used provisioning profile including this certificate and the team's system also has been added.

Could someone help me out.

Thank you.

• In 10.13 and below it is working fine. Catalina onwards it has issues. In the Console I am getting the following console messages:  ReceiptRefreshRequest: Error fetching receipt for /Applications/MyAppName.app - Error Domain=com.apple.commerce.client Code=500 "(null)" Failed to perform in-line receipt renewal for application at path/Applications/MyAppName.app : 'Error Domain=com.apple.commerce.client Code=500 "(null)

Add a Comment

Replies

Same here (since Friday). We use local receipt validation for our apps and we get no receipt for sandbox test accounts. The result is the same: 'App is damaged...' I filled a bug report in Feedbackmanager. Perhaps Apple addresses this issue a bit quicker if more than one developer complains about that.

Greetings Brigitte

• For me also the problem started since Friday. Earlier also 3rd party developers have faced same issue. I think it has been repeating whenever there is an macOS / XCode update. Anyway, thank you very much. Now, I am sure the problem is not from our side and I too will be reporting the bug to Apple.

Add a Comment

Same basic problem here: App launch displays "MyApp" is damaged and can't be opened... and also Error Domain=com.apple.commerce.client Code=500 in the Console on Big Sur.

On the other hand, when launching the same test build on older macOS systems such as High Sierra and El Capitan, the app downloads a receipt with the proper version number and the app verifies the receipt successfully.

Same here since Friday with all my MAS apps. I've had similar issues in the past. Filing Radar helps. But in the past the Radar guys typically have me file a DTS incident. So I went ahead and did that earlier today.

As a workaround we are currently copying the receipt from an App Store version of the app into the compiled bundle generated by Xcode. The app launches this way, and we can debug everything (except possibly IAP/App Store features).

The receipt is stored in directory _MASReceipt, located inside the app's Contents folder.

Apple has not addressed the issue even after a week. Bug ID: FB9760173

I am not able to proceed without sandbox receipt as I need to test in-app purchase integration which I introduced for the first time in my app. Is there any work around?

FWIW, my account is still busted. Anyone else?

I haven't been able to test any build since before Thanksgiving, which has basically prevented me from posting new apps or updates. I filed Feedback as well as a DTS incident. They got back to me and asked for some logs, which I provided. Since then: crickets. With the holidays now here, I doubt this will be fixed before January.

And the nightmare continues, I've tried new MacOS, updated XCode, everything, same issue. Here a more detailed log from Console, everything points to a problematic AppStore sandbox receipt server:

default 14:57:06.387845+0100 storeuid <StoreKitClient: 0x7fa18b242600>: Initializing client from bundle URL: file:///Users/victor/TPBuilds/BuildMac/***.app/

default 14:57:06.399105+0100 storeuid <StoreKitClient: 0x7fa18b242600>: Using active account. Sandbox: 1, receipt exists: NO, receipt is stub: NO

default 14:57:06.400569+0100 commerce storeuid[1335] starting request app-receipt-create

default 14:57:06.579773+0100 commerce <CKStoreRequest: 0x7f8dc1d67830> https://p100-sandbox.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/createAppReceipt

default 14:57:07.285964+0100 commerce StoreSession: StatusCode: 200; ; Environment: SB-MR; URL: https://p100-sandbox.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/createAppReceipt

error 14:57:07.291059+0100 storeuid <ReceiptRefreshRequest: 0x7fa189416420>: No receipt data in response

error 14:57:07.291232+0100 storeuid <ReceiptRefreshRequest: 0x7fa189416420>: Error fetching receipt for com.***.yyyy - Error Domain=com.apple.commerce.client Code=500 "(null)"

It appears that it's finally fixed (at least for me) on macOS 12.2. YMMV.

Add a Comment

It is working on BigSur 11.6.1. A bug and a technical support incident has been logged, and after the communication they updated the bug FB9848384 with Resolution: Potential fix identified - in macOS 12.2. 

Bug seems to be back on macOS 12. Anyone else?

• Yes I am on MacOS 12.3, using Xcode 13.3.1 and am seeing this problem every time when trying to run my Mac App

• Yeah, it’s been fixed for a brief period of time, but it’s broken yet again. It worked on 04.04.2022 as I was able to renew a receipt I’m now using for testing purposes. All tests done on macOS 12.3 & 12.3.1.

Add a Comment

Same problem here on 12.3.1 (21E258) right now, no _MASReceipt from sandbox.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of cdus Down vote reply of cdus

Receipts working again 👍