MusicKit WebAPI - Can only get storefronts. All other endpoints return 500.

If I make a request to https://api.music.apple.com/v1/storefronts/us with the proper developer jwt token in the header, I receive the a successful response with a list of store fronts. If I remove the token, I do get back a 401 error.

If I call any other catalog base query, I am getting back a 500 error.

For instance: https://api.music.apple.com/v1/catalog/us/albums/310730204

returns a 500 error with the body being {"message":"An unexpected error occurred"}

I'm not sure what I can do to fix this. Please help.

• Did it go away over time? If so, how long?

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Hello @MichaelHeiHei and @applebee1558

Thank you for reaching out about the 500 errors you’re receiving from the Apple Music App.

If both of you could submit a ticket to the Feedback Assistant, including a .har export from the network inspector showing the failed responses, it would be very helpful for us to diagnose this issue.

Thank you so much!

Replies

I'm getting the exact same issue. I'm wondering if this is an error with how I generate the JWT or if it's an Apple issue. The 429 token they posted on the page works fine though.

Hello @MichaelHeiHei and @applebee1558

Thank you for reaching out about the 500 errors you’re receiving from the Apple Music App.

If both of you could submit a ticket to the Feedback Assistant, including a .har export from the network inspector showing the failed responses, it would be very helpful for us to diagnose this issue.

Thank you so much!

I am seeing this as well with a freshly generated token.

Same here with recent tokens.

We are also experiencing this issue.

Same issue with me

I am seeing the same issue. A token I generated this morning didn't work until about 1 hour after I generated it. Then it started working for a few hours, but newly generated tokens are all returning 500s.

Same error with me.

I'm getting the same issue here. I generated some tokens in the last 2 days but I'm always getting the 500 error

@Media Engineer I submitted a ticket to feedback assistant. Thanks. Do you know how long it might take to get a response?

Greetings,

This issue is now resolved.

There was a server issue impacting some new MusicKit developer tokens which were getting rejected with HTTP error 500. This has now been rectified.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and please let us know if you encounter any other issue.

This issue has recurred. Previously working integrations with new developer tokens are return 500 responses. I even tried issuing myself an entirely new API key and unfortunately it still returns 500 responses. New Zealand region, if it makes a difference.

Apple service status page shows all-green.

It is a little disappointing that the API, the most mission critical interface for any developer, should break in this way just one month ago, then break again in apparently the same way just a few weeks later. This breaks the world for music apps. It makes developers of iOS music apps look like idiots, with frustrated users who cannot be given a good answer on what's gone wrong or when it'll be resolved.

When will this be fixed, please, and what steps are Apple taking to ensure that this does not break without Apple noticing again in future (e.g. ensuring that the Apple Service Status page correctly reflects a broken API condition)?

Thanks,

• Hi @adh1003,

Thanks for reporting this issue. There was an unrelated issue impacting some developers which has been resolved earlier today. Can you please try again if your issue has been resolved. If not could submit a ticket to the Feedback Assistant showing a sample CURL command (the HTTP request and the correspondingJWT)

Thanks!

• Thanks @apple82 - yes, it seems to be working again now.

Add a Comment

Hi, I'm experiencing the same with a recent token...

https://api.music.apple.com/v1/storefronts/us is working

https://api.music.apple.com/v1/catalog/us/albums/310730204 is not, with error

{
    "message": "An unexpected error occurred"
}

Can you help ?