Object Capture or LiDAR?

I work in the thoroughbred industry. I am interested in capturing a 3D model of a racehorse (at rest) to later use in a dataset for analysis.

A recent paper (see "Body measurement of riding horses with a versatile tablet-type 3D scanning device") used the iPhnoe 12, a commerical app (Scandy) and LiDAR to create 3D models of the horse. It reads as a fairly straightfoward process, however I was wondering if there was any benefit to using Object Capture over LiDAR. It would seem as easy to walk around the horse and capture a video and then create the process to extract frames from the video for Object Capture?

In terms of creating 3D models, is one method better/more accurate than another?

Answered by Graphics and Games Engineer in 687685022

The Object Capture APIs introduced in RealityKit 2 can use depth data collected from a LiDAR Scanner. The Scandy app probably collects depth data from LiDAR and images from the camera to create 3D models, which is similar to what our Object Capture APIs do.

Accepted Answer

The Object Capture APIs introduced in RealityKit 2 can use depth data collected from a LiDAR Scanner. The Scandy app probably collects depth data from LiDAR and images from the camera to create 3D models, which is similar to what our Object Capture APIs do.

Object Capture or LiDAR?

Q