WWDC21 ray tracing sample GPU hangs

I updated my MBP 16" into macOS 12 beta and downloaded Xcode 13 & hybrid rendering sample. (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/metal/rendering_reflections_in_real_time_using_ray-tracing?language=objc)

I run the sample but Xcode tells me GPU timeout has been occurred.

2021-06-10 01:50:53.303115+0900 HybridRendering[2259:105212] Execution of the command buffer was aborted due to an error during execution. Caused GPU Timeout Error (00000002:kIOAccelCommandBufferCallbackErrorTimeout)

2021-06-10 01:50:53.303324+0900 HybridRendering[2259:105212] Execution of the command buffer was aborted due to an error during execution. Caused GPU Timeout Error (00000002:kIOAccelCommandBufferCallbackErrorTimeout)

Error Domain=MTLCommandBufferErrorDomain Code=2 "Caused GPU Timeout Error (00000002:kIOAccelCommandBufferCallbackErrorTimeout)" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Caused GPU Timeout Error (00000002:kIOAccelCommandBufferCallbackErrorTimeout), MTLCommandBufferEncoderInfoErrorKey=(
    "<errorState: MTLCommandEncoderErrorStateCompleted, label: ThinGBufferRenderEncoder, debugSignposts: (null)>",
    "<errorState: MTLCommandEncoderErrorStateAffected, label: RaytracedReflectionsComputeEncoder, debugSignposts: (null)>",
    "<errorState: MTLCommandEncoderErrorStateAffected, label: (null), debugSignposts: (null)>",
    "<errorState: MTLCommandEncoderErrorStatePending, label: ForwardPassRenderEncoder, debugSignposts: (null)>"
)}

It seems the intersection code in AAPLShaders.metal occurs the timeout error...

auto intersection = inter.intersect( r, accelerationStructure, 0xFF );

I have troubles on Radeon Pro 5500M however Intel GPU and M1 MacBook Air doesn't. Is there any workarounds to run on Radeon?

Thanks!

Replies

I am able to run the sample on an iMac with an Intel CPU and Radeon 5500XT. Perhaps you could try to reboot your machine; reopen the Xcode project, clean the build folder, build and run again? If you continue to get the same error, please file a bug report with Feedback Assistant.

• I tried rebooting, clean and build but the sample is still not running on my Radeon GPU. 😢 I made an report (FB9147857) with Feedback Assistant. Thank you!

Add a Comment

Hi Prin_E, we'd appreciate it if you created a report with Feedback Assistant with this information. Thanks for reporting this.

• Hi, I reported an issue 3 months ago however I haven't received any response from feedback assistant. I can't still run the sample on my MacBook Pro... 😭 (21A5506j) May I ask you when it will be fixed?

Add a Comment

The sample runs on Monterey beta 7&8! Thanks!!