Create our own UWB app commuicate with own UWB tags / devices OR maybe with other third parties devices /tags , BUT I CAN NOT

HI 😊 I want to create MY OWN APP that will be able to communicate with my customized UWB devices ( UWB CHIP MOUNT ON ARDUINO / RASPERRY PI board or maybe can communicate with airtag / samsung tags /other third parties uwb tags ,too , but however my main purpose is , create my app that will be able to communicate with my customized UWB tag / devices ,
So I found out that the NEARBY INTERACTION framework that utilizing the UWB U1 CHIP of iphone 11/12 ,* does not provide the API CODE for this 😥
later on , Apple allows the app developer to only create their own UWB DEVICES / TAGs that will be able to communicate / utilize with iphone11/12 BUT ALL OF THE UWB CUSTOMIZED DEVICES / tags FROM THE DEVELOPERS ,--> MUST BE USED WITH ONLY THROUGH " * Find My ( APP ) *** " FROM APPLE
under the app developer of Apple program , called * MFi * -> MADE FOR IPHONE => https://mfi.apple.com/ --> under this program , * the developers can not create their own uwb app to utilize their own uwb devices/ tags as like me *😥
now there are some of third parties devices such as -Ebikes VanMoof S3 ,X3 model or Chipolo ONE Spot uwb tags or Belkin earbuds that joint MFI APPLE program , however all of them must be used with Find my app ( Apple ), ** they can not create their own app to utilize their own uwb devices
So I do not know when will apple provide its uwb API for developers to create their own app to communicate with their own uwb tags / devices
  • I want to create my own app that will be able to get the distance / direction from my uwb devices or maybe third parties devices too* but right now can not because of what I explained above ,in this Apple forum question

so if Apple open the UWB API for the app developers access / develop their own ( using - UWB ) apps ,Apple will have more creative UWB apps from creative ideas of app developers
So I am asking Apple ,
  • ->When will Apple provide the uwb API for the app developers to do such a things as my case ?

PLEASE 🥺

Replies

Hey Ken158,

I am also looking at making my own UWB device.

Have you tried the latest iOS 15 API for Nearby Interaction? (you may skip the first 6 minutes)

Explore Nearby Interaction with third-party accessories

• What did you develop?

Add a Comment

If you want to build your own spatially-aware iOS app that can range and estimate distance/angle to other, non-Apple UWB devices, e.g. beacons you just need to make sure these other devices have the latest UWB chip that is "interoperable" with Apple U1.

Apple has published here: https://developer.apple.com/nearby-interaction/ in the FAQ section the list of chip manufacturers that have compatible radios with U1.

There are many companies offering Dev Kits that have these new, compatible chips already integrated. Google "UWB Dev Kit" or "UWB Beacons" and get some of these devices. They typically come with SDK full of examples, so it should be pretty simple to integrate with your app.

Hey @KEN158. What is the current status of your project? I'd like to implement something similar. Basically, implement on Arduino or an esp32 chip a receptor of UWD from my iPhone.

Hey @KEN158, I would also be keen to know if you got anything...

Hi,

Same thing here, I would like to build an app that can evaluate as precise as possible the distance from another device containing an UWB chip. From what I read it seems that apple as only provide nearby interaction API. My app need to work with apple phone but also with other concurrent phone, and as always, concurrent phone OS provides the API to manage UWB as the developper needs to. So I'm also interesting in getting any news on how I could acheive this with iOS phones.

Thanks