AVPlayer HLS parallel downloads?

We're using AVPlayer to stream HLS over http/2, and noticed that while different playlists (media, audio, iframe) are downloaded in parallel to each other, all of the segment fetches within a track are performed sequentially.

i.e. If we wanted to start playback part way through an HLS playlist we'd end up making 3-4 segment fetches first (MAP/init, plus initial segments, plus segment I want to play), and these were all done sequentially, blocking on each other.

Is there any way to make the AVPlayer fetch all of these segments at the same time?

I'm assuming if we added an offline HLS data fetcher we could come up with something, but that's a lot more involved than telling the player it can use up more data, etc.

Thanks

Replies

MobileVlcKit isn't provided by Apple. Have you tried asking the videolan folks?

Arg, sorry, answered the question in the wrong window.

To answer your question, I would expect the HLS player to make concurrent requests for audio and video segments. I would not expect it to issue concurrent requests for successive segments, as later segments will delay earlier segments due to competition for the download bandwidth.

It's a reasonable optimization to make concurrent requests for the MAP segment and the first Media Segment (although it would only save you a single RTT). Please file an enhancement request if you'd like us to consider that.