Safari, JavaScript and WebGL extremely bad performance?

Whats the issue with Safari, WebGL and JavaScript performance, compared to other browsers Safari its a fullblown disaster. I think a saw a commercial stating Safari is the fastest browser ever ;-) hey, I can tell and show you, its not ;-).

Can someone please explain what the excuse is for this when you have unlimited of money and 10000 programmers;-)?

Accepted Reply

Here is a example, this is a PC game I converted from c plus plus to slim c plus plus style vanilla js, this runs smooth in any browser even on a 6 year old chrome book for 200 USD;-)!!!

url is not allowed, and i prefere to send i by mail to you if possible?

Replies

Please provide the URL of a page where you see worse WebGL performance in Safari than other browsers. Which devices are you seeing this on?
  • Confirming this observation: Safari has a significantly lower frame rate when animating a three.js scene than Chrome and Firefox - lots of stuttering. Observed with:

https://app.photoephemeris.com/sphere with 3D terrain required (requires subscription - happy to provide access, if helpful)Safari Version 14.1.1 (15611.2.7.1.6, 15611), Chrome Version 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (x86_64), Firefox Version 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (x86_64)MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016), 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro 460 4 GB Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MBCatalina 10.15.7 (19H1217)

The difference shows up when I set the Terrain quality to medium or high (512x512 or 1024x1024 subdivision of a texture + displacement + alpha mapped three.js plane). No noticeable differences when set to low (256 x 256).

Add a Comment
Here is a example, this is a PC game I converted from c plus plus to slim c plus plus style vanilla js, this runs smooth in any browser even on a 6 year old chrome book for 200 USD;-)!!!

url is not allowed, and i prefere to send i by mail to you if possible?
Any progress, is it possible to send you the url per mail -> project is in development and not public yet...

We're seeing the same issue in all our WebGL applications. It definitely worked in April 2021, since then without changing any code the Safari performance went from 60fps to 2fps.

Example scene built in unity (with a camera-texture since camera input is important for our AR applications): https://test.looc.io/forest/index.html

• Disabling webgl2 in the develop menu experimental features fixed the drop in FPS. However this is not a proper workaround for users. This needs to be fixed.

Add a Comment