Xcode project no longer showing symbols in call stack

I have an Xcode project with a single Scheme that does nothing more than launch an OS X app in Debug configuration. The app is not built by the project, and the project does not have any targets. The Xcode project just launches the app from a Scheme. The app was originally built in Debug mode, via an external command-line build script, and contains a number of dynamic libraries (dylib's) in addition to the main executable.

After launching the app in this way through Xcode, if the app is stopped by an assertion statement (or is simply manually paused), the resulting call stack reveals nothing more than address pointers. There are no symbols displayed.

However, if I force the assertion to continue, the app crashes and produces a fully-symbolicated crash report, despite an absence of dSYM files anywhere in the app distribution.

So, the symbols exist somewhere, they are just not being shown in the UI call stack.

Furthermore, this lack of call stack symbols is a recent result. Previously, the same executable displayed a symbolicated call stack when paused or stopped by an assertion.

My questions are:

1. What could have caused Xcode to stop showing symbols in the UI call stack?
  2. If the symbols are available for a crash report, why can't Xcode display them in the UI call stack?

Replies

In addition, many of the symbols appear at the top of the Debugger Source Editor in many (but possibly not all) of the calls in the stack:

rendersystemtest`CMaterialSystem2AppSystemDict::SetupMaterialSystem:

rendersystemtest[0x1cfb99] <+1753>: movb $0x1, -0x51(%rbp)

rendersystemtest[0x1cfb9d] <+1757>: movq 0x85c4e4(%rip), %rax ; (void *)0x0000000000000000

rendersystemtest[0x1cfba4] <+1764>: movb -0x51(%rbp), %cl

rendersystemtest[0x1cfba7] <+1767>: movq (%rax), %rax

rendersystemtest[0x1cfbaa] <+1770>: cmpq -0x8(%rbp), %rax

rendersystemtest[0x1cfbae] <+1774>: movb %cl, -0x101(%rbp)

So...in addition to the two questions above:

3. Why is Xcode displaying the symbol in the Debugger Source editor, but not in the call stack itself?

[Edit 2016-11-05] After further research, this seems to be environmental...and possibly related to an update to macOS Sierra. This problem does not occur on a similar MacBook running El Capitan.

Still have no idea what the root cause is though. Any input would be appreciated.

Same to me, Both in Sierra & El Capitan, I think it is Xcode's bug .

Maybe reinstall Xcode can reslove this problem ?

It certainly makes sense that this would be an Xcode issue. This first appeared under Xcode 8.1. However...I downloaded Xcode 7.3.1 and installed it beside 8.1...but it did not help. Whereas both Xcode versions work correctly on the El Capitan machine.

However...are you indicating a different approach...somehow removing all traces of all versions of Xcode, and then reinstalling it fresh? In doing so...are there any other environmental or configurational components to Xcode outside Xcode.app itselt that would need to be removed?

Did such an approach work for you? And if so...can you outline the steps you took?

Thanks...

...Bill

Removing and resinstalling Xcode did not resolve the issue.

I removed Xcode, and cleared out all Xcode references and configs as described here.

...Bill

I do following on the page. It work for me. Thanks!

I also remove unavailable simulators. Here is what I do:

599  xcrun simctl delete unavailable
  600  ls ~/Library/Developer/Xcode
  601  rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/Xcode
  602  ls ~/Library/Application\ Support/Xcode
  603  rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Xcode
  604  ls ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.*
  605  ls ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt
  606* ls ~/Library/Caches/com.ap
  607  rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.*
  608  ls ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt*
  609  rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist
Thanks to railgun. Steps that he followed worked for me.