Scenekit editor no longer read OBJ files

I was using OBJs as references and also as imports for my game and in the latest xcode the scenekit editor just displays OBJ scenes as blank. These files were already in my project and worked before. I can preview them in finder just fine. Also when I drag them in as reference it makes a reference but again it's just blank.

there is no convenient way to go from maya to USD (i go through way too many iterations to go through the converting process). DAE files come in with all the hierarchies but the pivot points get moved to the bottom right of every object which makes it very difficult to work with for animations and generally moving things around when the pivot is not where it's suppose to be

I've tried grouping it under an empty node and then flattening to relocate the pivot, but then geometry completely disappears. i don't remember this being the behavior before.

anyway, there is a lot wrong with the workflow. it shouldn't be this hard

Replies

so i figured out the pivot getting moved in dae files. but i still wish i could open obj files as it would make my world easier in general
Isn't this need part of what Reality Converter was built for - to go from .obj to .usdz?
"Isn't this need part of what Reality Converter was built for - to go from .obj to .usdz?"

but i'm not trying to make usdz files. i'm trying to figure out why OBJ files in scenekit are blank.