Can i deploy a Content Filter App on unsupervised devices?

Hi, im building an app that uses the Content Filter feature of Network Extensions. The app is to be distributed outside the app store and will be deployed via mdm. The macs at the company i work at are enrolled on mdm but do not have dep, will i still be able to deploy the app?
Thanks in advance

Accepted Reply

I believe you may have two questions here; first, it is not required to have an MDM solution to load a Developer ID signed and Notarized Content Filter application to a macOS device. On iOS yes, but on macOS, this is not a requirement. Second, when you have a managed device, DEP is not required, but simply attempts to make the enrollment and deployment process easier. Outside of DEP, with any MDM solution there should be a way to deploy applications to devices and this is the process that you would use to deploy your Content Filter to managed macOS devices.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com

Replies

I believe you may have two questions here; first, it is not required to have an MDM solution to load a Developer ID signed and Notarized Content Filter application to a macOS device. On iOS yes, but on macOS, this is not a requirement. Second, when you have a managed device, DEP is not required, but simply attempts to make the enrollment and deployment process easier. Outside of DEP, with any MDM solution there should be a way to deploy applications to devices and this is the process that you would use to deploy your Content Filter to managed macOS devices.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com