What is going on with Xcode?

I just spent most of the day trying to install the latest version of Xcode. After literally hours of it trickling down to my system, just as it was nearing the end, it just suddenly stopped, said it could not install Xcode at this time, and exited. I expect better from Apple, What is going on? I am now downloading the .xip version, though I just noticed that it again attempting to install, even though I did not restart. I am now wondering if it would be better to uninstall, and simply download the .xip, unzip, and then copy that to my system.

Bottom line, I am very frustrated. I am losing valuable time while all this downloading goes on.

Replies

Me too...i left it with about 1 (0% left to go last night and went to bed and now 11-12 hours later, it still isn't done and sitting at about 95% done according to the progress circle...

i'm not sure if there is a way to cancel and restart the process, etc. (the obvious "stop button" doesn't do anything). does anyone have a suggestion on how to abort the update process?
I downloaded and installed on iMac / Catalina without problem: 40 minutes to download, 40 minutes to unzip and install..

I downloaded from
https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
and not from Appstore.
I then installed manually.

Maybe you just tried immediately after publication, when servers are really busy.
Rebooted my MacBook and it solved the issue for me