App freezes on Launch Screen for several minutes

This started all of a sudden one day.

Latest Xcode (stable)
Latest iOS (stable)

When building and running from Xcode the app will freeze on launch screen for several minutes (average about 2min) and then after wakes up and all is good.

Tried all known tricks:
reinstall iOS
reinstall Xcode
standing upside down drinking coca cola with a straw (ok I didn't try that).

Nothing works...

(changing the scheme as suggested here does work but this is not ideal of course as I loose all my debugging tools).

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54091746/app-freezes-on-launch-screen-when-installed-from-xcode-10-1-to-ios-12

Anyone can help?

Accepted Reply

Yup... the beta profile was the culprit... once installed and downloading the latest beta version the splash freeze went away...
Way to go Apple for forcing us to ALWAYS use the beta now forever and ever till the end of time!
Even brand new device exhibits the same issue if restored from previous backup...

Replies

The same problem! I tried to reboot everything but nothing help. Disabling the debug in the scheme works but of course I loose the debug functionality and is a valid solution only to deploy in the device without debug, but I want to debug.
It happens also in the simulators so I thing is a serious bug of Xcode.
When the App is installed in the iPhone and I run the app without Xcode, the launch screen is extremely fast and is not possible to see it.
Just ideas, not sure it may have any effect.
  • In IB, select the project on the left, then in File inspector try to set project format to the most recent.

• set the target to the latest iOS version

• do an option-clean build folder

And last resort, drink a hot coca (will never try this)
I have some thoughts that it may be with the beta profile but have not pin-pointed the exact issue... still searching. Any ideas welcome at this point...
Yup... the beta profile was the culprit... once installed and downloading the latest beta version the splash freeze went away...
Way to go Apple for forcing us to ALWAYS use the beta now forever and ever till the end of time!
Even brand new device exhibits the same issue if restored from previous backup...