Chaining multiple URLRequests and get next JSON page of results?

Hi!
I'm looping over an array of strings and I need to make a URLRequest call on each element (id).
For each JSON there could be a href linking to other pages with additional data in it.
How can I chain multiple URLRequests?

Currently, in parse(data: data), I check to see if the href key is not null and then I call retrievePages(with url: URL) which is similar to retrieveRelease(). It gets messy. Duplicate code. I get somehow the results I want but I don't think it's the best approach at all.
How could I get the next page of results? Considering that I'm also inside a loop in retrieveRelease()

Code Block
func retrieveRelease() {
dataTask?.cancel()
for id in idArray {    
idUrl = URL(string: "url+id")!
let request = NSMutableURLRequest(url: idUrl)

let session = URLSession.shared
dataTask = session.dataTask(with: request as URLRequest) { data, response, error in
if let error = error as NSError? {
          return
} else if let httpResponse = response as? HTTPURLResponse, httpResponse.statusCode == 200 {
if let data = data {
self.parse(data: data)
DispatchQueue.main.async {
        //update views
}
            return
      }
}
}
dataTask?.resume()
}
}
}

Accepted Reply

The best way to do this depends on your specific circumstances but I generally use an array to hold the list of pending URLs. I populate that array with the initial set of URLs. When a parse completes it adds the resulting URLs (if any) to that array. It then looks to see if the array is empty and, if not, starts the next request.

I usually use an object to manage all of this but you can implement a simple version using closures. For example:

Code Block
func fetchURLs(_ initialURLs: [URL], completionHandler: @escaping () -> Void) {
var pendingURLs = initialURLs
func startNext() {
guard let url = pendingURLs.first else {
completionHandler()
return
}
pendingURLs.removeFirst()
loadAndParse(url: url) { parsedURLs in
pendingURLs.append(contentsOf: parsedURLs)
}
startNext()
}
startNext()
}

This assumes a helper function, func loadAndParse(url: URL, completionHandler: @escaping ([URL]) -> Void), that loads and parses the URL asynchronously.

The biggest drawback with this simplistic approach is that everything is serialised: The requests never overlap on the ‘wire’. This will significantly slow things down if you have a lot of requests to run over a high-latency link.

Running requests in parallel requires more state management because it’s best to limit the parallelism (you don’t want to run thousands of requests in parallel). This is when I start using an object to manage this, with a property the counts the number of currently running requests.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

The best way to do this depends on your specific circumstances but I generally use an array to hold the list of pending URLs. I populate that array with the initial set of URLs. When a parse completes it adds the resulting URLs (if any) to that array. It then looks to see if the array is empty and, if not, starts the next request.

I usually use an object to manage all of this but you can implement a simple version using closures. For example:

Code Block
func fetchURLs(_ initialURLs: [URL], completionHandler: @escaping () -> Void) {
var pendingURLs = initialURLs
func startNext() {
guard let url = pendingURLs.first else {
completionHandler()
return
}
pendingURLs.removeFirst()
loadAndParse(url: url) { parsedURLs in
pendingURLs.append(contentsOf: parsedURLs)
}
startNext()
}
startNext()
}

This assumes a helper function, func loadAndParse(url: URL, completionHandler: @escaping ([URL]) -> Void), that loads and parses the URL asynchronously.

The biggest drawback with this simplistic approach is that everything is serialised: The requests never overlap on the ‘wire’. This will significantly slow things down if you have a lot of requests to run over a high-latency link.

Running requests in parallel requires more state management because it’s best to limit the parallelism (you don’t want to run thousands of requests in parallel). This is when I start using an object to manage this, with a property the counts the number of currently running requests.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"