Apple Watch NFC Tags

Dear Community / Apple,

I would like to ask in the name of many Smart Home Community,

There is any developing / There is any future plan about make Apple Watches able to read NFC Tags / Stickers?

Many of us would like to use Apple Watch to use Home Automations with NFC Stickers, but we have to use our iPhone instead of the Watch, what would be the most logical way to use these things.

We does not really understand why this was not added by default, and why we cannot find any official information about this?

Please provide us some answer, at least we should know should we still wait for this feature or this is not gonna be enabled by Apple?!

Thank you very much,
Gery
I, too, would like to have some information on this. As a user of the Shortcuts App and many smart home devices connected through HomeKit, triggering automations by tapping an NFC tag with the iPhone is very convenient. It would be even better if this was possible with the Watch somehow.

Thank you.
Yes,

Apple: Please consider enabling background NFC reading on watchOS and integrating our shortcuts automations.

Thank you
Just an amateur, here, but keep in mind that the reader device powers the NFC chip, wirelessly, so power use is a consideration and they may not want to drain the battery by that ability. Also, it requires another chip/radio/antenna and there may not be space inside. Again, just my thoughts.
Agreed!! This really needs to happen.
Yes, i was googling in this and saw this thread. It would be very useful for automations. You don’t really have your mobile in your hands at home, but the watch is usually on the wrist.
Seems logic to me, I don’t understand why this isn’t enabled.
This would be extremely useful for a number of applications, beyond that of home automation. I agree that Apple should consider this. I hope you're listening, Apple!
  • 1 badly want it

I also really want this feature
This feature would be really helpful!
It would make life a lot easier. Please make it happen.
I have bought a lot of tags for automations in my home and office, but after setting up a couple of simple shortcuts to turn on specific lights or appliences, i stopped using them, just because it is not convenient to carry my phone everywhere. I really hope background NFC reading would get implemented with Apple watch. That would open so many opportunities for homekit and automations..
Yes, this is the missing feature for Apple Watch. We need it !!!
Yes ! That’s a must-have feature !
Started looking at using them for home automation as well. Works ok, but watch integration would make it actually useful!
It’s definitely a missing feature. I pay with my watch, should be able to trigger an nfc tag with it.
Yes, why isn’t this a thing! There are so many automations that I would use this for!
This should absolutely be a thing, I'd use such functionality very often, certainly more convenient than pulling my phone out, assuming I even have it in my pocket, I often don't when I'm just doing stuff around the house.
I agree, this would be a great feature.

Would definitely be a great feature to add.

Yes, please! It would be awesome to integrate NFC functionality into the watch for developer and consumer use similar to how it is done on iPhone.

Yes! This would be an awesome addition to enable some very cool apps.

I would love this feature as well and I’m sure it will be a reality soon enough. I have come to see that Apple just ever so slowly releases the important or most desired features like this. If they released every single feature at once, no one would ever upgrade their devices. Apple is the stick, and their devices are the carrot. It wouldn’t surprise me if there are already prototypes or at least designs for the next five models. I would kill to see the series x Apple Watch. 🤤

This would be a great feature. I expected the Apple Watch to already support this but I was disappointed.

I also really want this feature

I'd love this feature! Very useful!

Apple Watch NFC Tags

Q