iOS 14 - Local network permission pop up.

Hi,

My app is searching for a specific ssid which is broadcasting from my device. App makes NEHotspotConfiguration(ssid: aSSID, passphrase: aPassword) call to connect to the ssid. On successful connections, it changes phone's wifi to the ssid from the device, and later removes the NEHotspotConfiguration for this ssid. 
With iOS 14, we have observed it still connects without adding a support to ask user permission. My understanding was that we would not be able to pair with the device with iOS 14. 
Since we are only using NEHotSpotConfugration, do we need to update our app to ask user permission for this use case? 
Please advise.

Thanks

Replies

Hi, the system-alert (popup) is displayed by iOS. If you don't see this dialog in your app, I assume that the new "local network permission" is not required for your implementation.
NEHotspotConfiguration shows anyways its own dialog before connecting to the SSID.
Only if you would send requests to a local-IP on this SSID, the system-alert would show up.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Quick follow up question on this: We are also using CNCopySupportedInterfaces and kCNNetworkInfoKeySSID to get the current SSID to see if the phone was able to connect to the SSID provided by the app to ensure the connection.
Would we require to explicitly add local network permission for this? Pairing behavior has been pretty inconsistent with iOS 14, so would like to ensure if it is due to missing permission pop up.
Appreciate your help here.
Thank you

We are also using CNCopySupportedInterfaces and
kCNNetworkInfoKeySSID to get the current SSID to see if the phone
was able to connect to the SSID provided by the app to ensure the
connection. Would we require to explicitly add local network
permission for this?

No. The hotspot subsystem is all about the Wi-Fi layer and doesn’t interact with the TCP/IP and Bonjour subsystems, which is where the local privacy checks are applied. So you don’t need to do the local privacy dance unless your app has code that actually interacts with the local network using networking APIs.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"