Use both Network Extension AND Multicast entitlements??

I have a VPN product (which needs Network Extension entitlement) which has a hardware component on the network (which needs Multicast entitlement to talk to hardware via local network discovery). I have been granted both entitlements, but I can only choose one "Additional Entitlement" for a provisioning profile.

If the main app has the Multicast entitlement and the NetworkExtension has the Network Extension entitlement, does that mean there's no way for the Network Extension to interact with the hardware on the network?

Unfortunately this case can't be tested because all Multicast appears to be working in iOS 14 betas 1-5 (even without the entitlement), so we don't know what will happen when/if Multicast becomes restricted to just the Multicast entitlement. I'm trying to work ahead so that our product doesn't stop working when/if this changes.

Accepted Reply

Which NetworkExtension entitlements specifically? The NE provider entitlements no longer need special entitlements; you can simply enable them on the App ID. See Network Extension Framework Entitl… for the backstory.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

Which NetworkExtension entitlements specifically? The NE provider entitlements no longer need special entitlements; you can simply enable them on the App ID. See Network Extension Framework Entitl… for the backstory.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
Got it. We don't use NEHotspotHelper....just packet-tunnel-provider, content-filter-provider, app-proxy-provider. It looks like we've had NetworkExtension set in the App ID and as the additional entitlement. So we can just set the additional entitlement to Multicast instead. Thanks!