XCode Slow After Big Sur update

Did anyone faced the issue with XCode after the Big Sur Beta update. Also, Mac is getting too hot.

Macbook Pro 2016
16 GB RAM
500 GB SSD

Replies

Yeah. I just installed it and the compiling takes like for ever. even a "HelloWorld" takes like 20-25 sec. MBP 2020
It's terribly slow. I am on a 2016 MBP 13" (2x2GHz, 8GB RAM). We're talking about over 10-15 minutes for a very simple app. Good thing my M1 MBA 13" arrives tomorrow.
Xcode 12 is BIG. Its possible your hard drive is almost full, so the OS has to compress your SWAP space, which really slows things down.

So check your disk free space. 500 GB SSDs are not that big.
Same here, updated to Big Sur yesterday and now everytime I build or run from Xcode it freezes the computer for a couple of seconds so it's totally unresponsive. I have MacBook Pro, 13", 2019, 2.4 GHz, i5, 16 gb RAM.
My laptop took a big hit in performance after updating to Big Sur. Xcode is extremely slow.

Wasn't expect that since I'm running a MacBook Pro 2018, Core i9, 32GB.
So do I. Xcode is deadly slow after updating to Big Sur.
  • MacBook Pro 2017, under macOS Big Sur V11.0.1.

• Dual-Core Intel i5 3.1GHz

• 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Upgrade xcode to 12.2 that is the latest version as of now when writing this post. Everything will come back to normal.
I just updated Xcode to 12.4 on MacOS 11.2 (MBP 15-inch, 2017 16GB RAM). and Xcode has been crawling ever since, simply selecting a view or a storyboard will cause Xcode to hang for 45 seconds to 2 minutes. Sometimes I can type more then 10 characters before the editor hangs for about a minute.

This is brutal, literally 2 days ago this was not an issue, just immediately after the update.

Is anyone seeing similar results? I am hoping its just the combo of versions
Same issue for me. I am on Catalina. But after updating Xcode from 12.3 to 12.4 the performance lost is heavy and everything that worked good, now ist very very slow. I hope Apple is fixing this.
Same issue for me. Updated Xcode to 12.4 and has been running slow since! Any fix for this?
I am having this same issue.
Same issue.
My simulator can't play video.
Same here, terribly slow. 70 GB free space, when Xcode builds can't barely do anything.
i have a Mac book pro 2018
Hello Folks,

I find the problem. Interestingly when I check the compiling tab I found out dSYM files were taking too much time, it was 0.7 seconds on Catalina, but it takes 90 seconds in Big Sur. Then I changed Debug Information Format from DWARF with dSYM File to just DWARF and now build times are as used to be.

I hope it solves your problem
I have the same problem… it's really annoying 😕

Interestingly, I don't have problems after I turn Wi-Fi off 🤷🏻‍♂️ I can't always do it (i.e. when loading packages), but now I have to do it most of the time if I want to work properly.

I hope it'll help you, and I hope next update will fix this.