Starting My First Project

Over the past year, I have been learning as much as I can about Swift, SwiftUI and Xcode, and I believe that I am ready to start developing my app. There are only a few problems in my way.

Firstly, I don't know where to start. My goal is to develop a multiplatform app that has a specific design for each OS, built on SwiftUI. My problem is that I have never developed an app before. I know how to create a project, but I don't know what to do after I create my project. What are some steps that developers take? What is the process from project creation to App Store deployment?

My second issue is teamwork. What is the best way for two people to share code, assign tasks, and work on the same Xcode project when working from home?

Thank you for your help.

Replies

Hello NCC-1701,

It is very easy to develop multi-platform app by using SwiftUI.
I'd suggest you watching some tutorial videos on youtube (search SwiftUI 2)
Or if you want a step by step courses, you can try designcode.io/swiftui2-course

Regards,
Myung

It is your first app and you want to do many thing at first time: multi platform, multi developers.

For multi person development, use git option when you create the project in XCode.

For the steps, my advice:
  • write (on paper) the sketch of your app:

some words explaining what your app does
hand drawing of the different screens and the links between them.
a specification of what are the data you will save
your principal data structures
  • then you can assign roles to both of you, sharing the screens each has to develop. Take care on data structures, so that the changes made by one does not crash what the other did. In such case of change, before committing to git, you need to retest.

For the overall process, you have many tutorials from Apple explaining how to do.

Good luck.
Thank you for your help. I have completed the design in Keynote and talked to my partner about how we are going to organize this project and we are ready to move forward. As we are new to app development, I was wondering what are some good tutorials for Xcode 12 and SwiftUI.
hi,

you asked:

what are some good tutorials for Xcode 12 and SwiftUI. 

take a look at the 100 Days of SwiftUI course on Paul Hudson's website (hackingwithswift.com). This is one of the best. And be sure to look through the entire website: it's a terrific resource, including the newest Xcode 12 SwiftUI features.

live long and prosper,
DMG