Big Sur update is causing extensive screen flickering

I recently updated to Mac OS BigSur and it was fine, of course a lot of softwares weren't working but it's common right? What's the main problem is that my mac's screen started blinking crazy that I can't use it now. The screen is going bonkers blinking. Is it just me?
  • I'm here trying to figure out the same problem when I'm working in Adobe Photoshop CC. A few times the past couple of days I suddenly get a bunch of empty windows with drop shadows overlaid one another and they flicker like crazy while everything else freezes up on my machine. 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 running OSX 11.4 Big Sur

• I'm having the exact same issues. I also have the 27" 2017 iMac (iMac18,3) with 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, though these problems seem to extend to other models as well. Like many others here, I'm also running multiple Adobe apps including Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator, and the issue definitely seems worse while working in those. I've also observed that it gets worse with mouse movements and/or keyboard input (for example, I frequently use Cmd+Tab to switch apps, and I often see intense flicker & drop-shadow-esque artifacts when switching in this way). It seems likely that Adobe is at least partially accountable, but I never saw anything like this before updating to Big Sur.

• I'm really surprised this hasn't been addressed? I'm having the same problem with the bottom inch flickering. The first time this was seen was 11 months ago, yet people have been commenting on this problem the whole time. Come on Apple, I didn't upgrade to Big Sur for this very reason, I wanted to wait out the bugs, and after 11 months, this one is still here.

Replies

Apple what are you doing! Multiple updates to Big Sur and still we have to suffer this issue!!
I installed Big Sur a few months ago, maybe about a month ago the bottom has been flickering and now sometimes the whole screen is starting to flicker. Turning it off and on seems to solve the flickering for a bit.
Hi, I've got the same problem after upgrading to Big Sur. The flickering was random until yesterday, now I cannot login anymore since the flickering is non stopping. Maybe the only solution is formatting the disk and install a new version of BS?
Same issue- screen flickering so badly, I can barely even look at my computer... I have tried all the suggested fixes (increase cursor size; PRAM reset -cmd/option/p/r reboot; turn off "True Tone" in Display; etc...): nothing reduces this hideous flicker. I have paid a lot for Macs for years based on outstanding customer service. When I took my relatively new MacBook into Apple Store, they advised they were aware of the systemic "flickering" issue and had no solution other than I spend well over $600 on a new screen??? Unacceptable for the amount of $$ I have already paid for the product + service. Need a solution to this issue ASAP! Flickering is truly awful...
I had the same problem today just doing my work. And the Computer just was all over the place.
Hi, seems issue still appear, currently I catch it after last macOs 11.3 update for 15-inch 2019 macbook Pro.
Only fix helped is to switch to HDMI instead of usb-c, which mean separate charging cable needed.
Hope you would be able at least proceed doing your job untill fix by apple or better solution came.
just updated to Big Sur 2 days ago and now experiencing this as well.
Hopefully doesn't get as bad as everyone else's that i'm reading on here.
Right now it's just Chrome and Safari this is happening to and nothing else.
  • hey i’m wondering if your problem is the same as mine, where the menu bar flickers when in full screen and moving your mouse up to show the menu bar. it flashes white for a split second before showing the bar.

Add a Comment
Same issue on my 2019 16-inch macbook pro. External monitor randomly flickers off/on. Started noticing this after an update to OSX 11.3
Hi i just update my os to Big Sur too, bit late but this kind of problem that makes me hesitate in the first place to update the OS,
and now my photoshop blinking rapidly every time I make changes, so it is very hard to work with this kind of problem,
since its already been a while are there any solution for this kind of issue ?

thank you
Add a Comment
I'm having the same issue. screen is either flickering or having artefacts at the bottom of the screen. I noticed that when i have high CPU usage.
  • Big Sur 11.3.1 (20E241)

• MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

• 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

• 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

I have the same issue after updating my mac to BigSur. MacOS BigSur Version 11.4 MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017 3,5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Is there a solution?

Same here.

• I have also been facing the same issue after latest Big Sur update.

Add a Comment

Has anyone received any support from Apple on this issue?

• I have the same problem for the last 3 days on my mini m1 after the big sur 11.4 update and contacted support and they seemed so surprised at the issue and no idea what I was talking about. Advice and support was useless! Extremely frustrating…

Add a Comment

Just chiming in here. Upgraded from Mojave last week. Am experiencing loads of issues with flickering, Finder spontaneously restarting when clicked, exceedingly sluggish app response from Dock, and having to double click to get things to 'happen', etc.

Photoshop, Ableton, Chrome, Music, all randomly ghost, flicker, go semi-transparent, with black bars flashing across the screen as if trying to display every window in finder simultaneously.

Adobe Acrobat is utterly unusable. An epileptic nightmare, especially with a few PDFs in the tabs.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. Big Sur 11.4 (20F71). Running a Dell P2715Q.

• Changing the cursor size to slightly larger, within the Accessibility settings, and also reducing transparency for the display seems to have solved the major issues. Now, there is just a single ‘flash’ of the whatever is open in Finder when I click into Acrobat before the PDF app displays. It’s not perfect but it’s so much better now.

Add a Comment

I think I finally solved the problem with the following method: The external display on my Mac mini 2020 (M1 Mac) was flickering, so I switched the OS and switched the HDMI port to a different one, but no improvement. However, one day, I thought of something and switched to a thick HDMI cable that I use to connect other devices (4K TV), and it became stable like a lie. Did switching to a thicker cable help?

The thicker cable that worked so well didn't have any special cable specifications on it, it just said "High Definition Multimedia Cable".

I also tried another experiment. I also found a very thin and flexible type of HDMI cable, so I switched to that. This one was also stable and displayed well. What does this mean? In other words, I would have preferred a thicker, more solid cable, but the thin one displayed fine. I think a good quality cable will solve the problem. You should all try it.