Swift 5.3 Guided Tour playground will not run "out of the box" on Mac

I downloaded the example playground using "Download Playground" from A Swift Tour — The Swift Programming Language (Swift 5.3) (from docs.swift.org - there was no tag for this Forum that I could find to reference Docs or swift.org)

On my Mac (macOS 11.0 beta 2, Xcode 12 beta 2) none of the chapters will run in the downloaded GuidedTour.playground. Each chapter compiles and builds, but then when trying to run it never gets past:

<<Spinner>> Running Simple Values

and no results are printed.

If I copy sections into a "Blank" .playground created using File > New > Playground... in Xcode, things work as expected.

This seems to not work "out of the box", even though the page where it was downloaded from has this

NOTE For the best experience, open this chapter as a playground in Xcode. 

Debugging attempt

broken version

In the Report navigator in the "broken" playground, the Build entry for each (successful) build had this:

Workspace GuidedTour | Scheme GuidedTour (Playground) | Destination iPad Pro (9.7 inch)

and when building a package Destination iPad Pro (9.7 inch) | SDK Simulator - iOS 14.0

working version

In the Report navigator in the "working" from-"Blank" playground, the Build entry for each (successful) build had:

Destination My Mac

and for the Package Destination My Mac | SDK macOS 10.16

which would seem to be a big hint.

But
  1. I Do not know why the downloaded playground shows up with that non-Mac target destination

2. I do not know how to change this Destination

3. I do not know how to get an iPad simulator to appear alongside the playground, if that is what is intended

Accepted Reply

on Xcode 12 beta 3 this produces output now (where Xcode 12 beta 2 did not)
  1. Xcode 12 b2 didn't work

2. Download using macOS Swift Playgrounds app

3. Use iCloud sync to run on iPad Swift Playgrounds

Another problem I encountered with Swift 5.3 Guided Tour playground (A Swift Tour — The Swift Programming Language (Swift 5.3)): Download like would not download directly or load on iPad Pro running iOS 13

Only got it working after downloading on macOS, opening in macOS version of Swift Playgrounds, then using iCloud to sync the playground to iPad. Only then could I open/run the playground on iPad. And it runs much faster on 2015 iPad Pro than on 2015 MacBook Pro in macOS Swift Playgrounds.

Replies

on Xcode 12 beta 3 this produces output now (where Xcode 12 beta 2 did not)
  1. Xcode 12 b2 didn't work

2. Download using macOS Swift Playgrounds app

3. Use iCloud sync to run on iPad Swift Playgrounds

Another problem I encountered with Swift 5.3 Guided Tour playground (A Swift Tour — The Swift Programming Language (Swift 5.3)): Download like would not download directly or load on iPad Pro running iOS 13

Only got it working after downloading on macOS, opening in macOS version of Swift Playgrounds, then using iCloud to sync the playground to iPad. Only then could I open/run the playground on iPad. And it runs much faster on 2015 iPad Pro than on 2015 MacBook Pro in macOS Swift Playgrounds.