help a newbie learn

i'm not completely helpless though i feel that way when i try a project from the web to compile under xcode. my projects have been "to the metal" with assembler, pascal, basic a touch of c and c++. i've used scripts and am passingly familiar with terminal commands (what i used to call DOS, no GUI). i've some udemy courses lined up and have seen the stanford ios.
in the meantime i thought to practice by downloading some neat looking ones from the web.

then i'm lost. compiling always starts with a signing error which leads to learning how to debug in xcode. BTW: as many tutorials as there are they haven't 'worked' for me. there's a step missing i'm supposed to know and don't. i need something simple.

as an aside the best how to book i've ever read was "Assembly Lines" which was a compilation of articles written for BYTE magazine. It was so easy to learn assembler, then move on.

anyway, take aircrack-ng a neat looking app. But the first it will say that BIGL.H is missing. There's a fix using an obscure GIT code to recurse the source as it's cloned. Unfortuantely i run into a problem in setting the location xcode expects to find the file. in the source it's <bigl/bigl.h>. I'm familiar with includes but t hat syntax for location is unfamiliar.

It would help to get a reference to how to step through each error. I've stumbled into it and yet have to look through multiple tabs or screens to find the exact red shaded area. Before you say RTFM, no t he help is abysmal.

So it's

1 - what directory structure should i use or how do i correct for a 'lost' file
2 - how do i switch between the gui and command line ? right now the path is command line but the script command "build" won't work
3 - how, step-by-step, do i follow each reported error

Or where can i find a very direct debugging tutorial

Replies

Your question is a bit too general.

Could you proceed step by step ?

compiling always starts with a signing error

Can you explain:
  • what code you try to compile

• the exact error you get