WWDC20 session 10012: Discover Ray Tracing with Metal.

I am trying to build scover "Ray Tracing with Metal" on iMac Pro 2017, but got this error:

2020-06-25 14:29:35.233058+0200 MTLRaytracingSample-macOS[3602:145531] Failed to set (contentViewController) user defined inspected property on (NSWindow): Ray tracing isn't supported on this device

Xcode 12
Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A4299v)

iMac Pro 2017
3,2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W
32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

What is the required hardware configuration?

Accepted Reply

Metal supports the new raytracing feature on Macs with an Intel Skylake GPU or above. The Skylake was included in MacBooks released in Early 2016, so any Mac with an Intel GPU released after that will support it.

Also, devices with Apple's A13 SoC, which include the iPhone 11 (all models) and the iPhone SE (2nd Generation), support the raytracing feature.
  • Does this mean neither A14 nor A15 support metal ray tracing?

What so special characteristics do the Intel GPUs have?

Add a Comment

Replies

Metal supports the new raytracing feature on Macs with an Intel Skylake GPU or above. The Skylake was included in MacBooks released in Early 2016, so any Mac with an Intel GPU released after that will support it.

Also, devices with Apple's A13 SoC, which include the iPhone 11 (all models) and the iPhone SE (2nd Generation), support the raytracing feature.
  • Does this mean neither A14 nor A15 support metal ray tracing?

What so special characteristics do the Intel GPUs have?

Add a Comment
Ok, so to be double check, my iMac Pro is not supported for this ray tracing Demo?

iMac Pro 2017
3,2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W
32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB
Not at the present, sorry.
Ok, its really a bummer to buy the current best computer on the Pro lineup, and know that it doesn't wrk with current best tech.
Same thing with my 11" iPad Pro, A13(?) chip I think :(
Please tag with wwdc20-10012 so that it properly shows up when searching for that tag.

I had this same question, as an iPad mini 5 and an iPad Pro and a 2015 MBP all encountered same "not-supported" error.

Note also that you need supported underlying hardware, as the simulators on Intel Macs do not emulate.

Correct, the iMac Pro 2017 lacks an Intel GPU required to run that sample.