Safari Web Extensions: bookmarks not "yet" supported

After years of using private API and not being in the Mac App Store, I was really excited Monday when I heard that Safari was adopting Web Extensions. Unfortately when I installed the betas and ran the converter on my Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Brave/Vivaldi/Edge extension, I was told that the browser.bookmarks API was not "yet" supported. I have patiently filed many bugs on this over the years: 10473679, 22932240, 32608461, 49706819, and now FB7772296. Users want bookmarks management beyond what is offered in Safari, and some users want to sync their bookmarks with other browsers. Currently, there are others’ apps, and do-it-yourself users who try and do this by overwriting the Bookmarks.plist file, with disastrous results to their iCloud account.

I hope that the omission of browser.bookmarks from Safari Web Extensions was due to disruptions caused by COVID-19, and that Apple will soon state their intention to support the browser.bookmarks API which is supported by Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, Brave, Vivaldi and Microsoft Edge.

Thank you for reading.

Replies

We are just getting started with Web Extensions support in Safari 14, and look forward to feedback on APIs developers still need for their extensions. Thanks for the feedback you have filed!