How does the Shortcuts Widget conform to "Widgets are not mini-apps"?

In ( https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10028/ ) it says "Widgets are not mini-apps" and "Rather than mini-apps filled with many little buttons". It also talks a lot about widgets being "glanceable".

However, the Shortcuts Widget doesn't conform to this same advice. It has a lot of buttons you can tap to execute a shortcut.

As a user I find the Shortcuts Widget extremely helpful. But I'm curious from a developer perspective why Apple seems to be setting a double standard in terms of the advice they give vs their own software.

For some more concrete questions:
  1. How does the Shortcuts Widget (which is basically a bunch of buttons to execute shortcuts) conform to the advice given in that session about being "glanceable"? If it doesn't conform to that advice, why does it not? Is there something else developers should consider or think about here?

2. Is the ability to have actionable buttons (like in the Shortcuts Widget) limited to Apple use only and hidden inside of a Private Framework? Or are 3rd party developers allowed to create experiences with buttons in their widget that can execute a given task?

Replies

These are just my personal opinions, I certainly cannot speak for the App Review team who will ultimately be the ones to approve apps with widgets. Having said that...

What exactly is "glanceable" will vary from app to app. I personally think of "glanceable" not just in the visual sense, but also in the actionable sense. Surfacing functionality from an app that's quickly and easily seen or acted on. For Shortcuts, I think the ability to quickly see (glance) the common shortcuts I use and then tap one to directly invoke it falls within the bounds of what a widget should do.

And if you consider the density of tappable areas in the Shortcuts widget, it's lower than the corresponding number of app icons that would occupy the same space. It has half as many tap targets as app icons that would fit in the same space. So I think it definitely does not fit that "lot of buttons" characterization. Similar story for the larger stocks or news widgets, each of which have multiple tap targets to get additional detail.

As for question #2, all widget sizes can use widgetURL to handle a tap on the widget, and medium and large widgets can use the Link view to add tappable areas. In both cases, the URLs open the widget's parent app.

@pdm Got it. However the Shortcuts widget doesn't actually open the parent app. It just runs the specific shortcut you tap on without actually opening the application. Is this functionality exclusive to Apple? I can think of many situations where not having it open the parent app (like in Shortcuts) can be useful for 3rd party applications.
"Is this functionality exclusive to Apple?" -> I think yes, I found no way to include buttons into the widget :(
For me I would like know why only Apple Clock app Widget are allowed to dynamic moving? now It's Widget not icon right?
I think what Apple means by that statement is, Widgets are just supposed to be a quick reference tool, and not supposed to be as interactive as an app. Meaning, no buttons, text fields, or anything else that may require a user to interact with a widget for a long time (other then changing a location as in a weather widget).