Toolbar is appearing at the bottom

I was following along to Introduction to SwiftUI and noticed that the toolbar modifier produced a toolbar visible at the top of the navigation view.

When I tried doing this using the same code, the toolbar is appearing at the bottom. The buttons are also presented in the opposite order as the video.

Code Block swift
.toolbar {
#if os(iOS)
EditButton()
#endif
Button("Add", action: makeSandwich)
}

I was wondering why this is the case?
The same thing is happening to me. I think it may be related to the fact I'm using the Xcode beta on Catalina rather than Big Sur.
I can confirm it happens in Big Sur Too
Can confirm, this is the same behavior I experienced in the session.

For clarification, I'm using macOS Catalina, Xcode 12 Beta.
As a workaround, you can wrap the buttons with ToolbarItem(placement:):

Code Block
.toolbar {
#if os(iOS)
ToolbarItem(placement: .navigationBarTrailing) {
EditButton()
}
#endif
ToolbarItem(placement: .navigationBarLeading) {
}
}

Happening for me too on Catalina and Big Sur (Catalina, live preview and simulator, Big Sure I was only able to get the simulator to work).

What's also weird is that, with the workaround from @mjfigueroa, the Add button disappears after briefly appearing.

Adding an EditButton to the NavigationView

Code Block swift
NavigationView {
List {
// code here
}
.navigationBarItems(trailing: EditButton())
}

You can do the above or you can also stick with the new .toolbar modifier and use the ToolBarItem view with a .navigationBarLeading placement.

Something like below:

Code Block
.toolbar {
        EditButton()
    }
}

I am running into a bug though where the 'Edit' button randomly disappears when I carry out certain actions like adding a new item to the list. I have filed a bug regarding this.
I ran into this same issue. In the initial Xcode 12 developer Beta it looks like the default placement of tool bar items is at the bottom. To fix this I had to explicitly identify where I wanted the items to go.

Having said that, the Add button disappears when you tap on it (both live preview and simulator). Not sure why this is happening as I can see the code is executing on each body call).

Code Block
.toolbar {
}
#if os(iOS)
EditButton()
}
#endif

:: the same problem with the "Add" button disappearing after you tap it or the Edit button.
:: the zoom animations don't work if you have more than 1 preview window. fix = comment out the extra ContentView lines.
:: the Back (previous window) button changes from :
  • <Sandwiches (only appears for sandwich[0]&[1] )

• <Back

• <

Code Block
.navigationTitle("Sandwiches")
.toolbar {
}
#if os(iOS)
EditButton()
}
#endif
}

I found this answer on StackOverflow regarding setting the background color for a navigation bar in SwiftUI, and the same solution can be used here:
Code Block swift
.background(NavigationConfigurator {nc in
nc.setToolbarHidden(false, animated: false)
})

Toolbar is appearing at the bottom

Q