Is it worth creating a new Watch Only project using Xcode 12 beta template vs. updating recently started watch only project from Xcode 11?

Earlier this year I started a new watch only project in Xcode 11. I’m not too far along and I’m interested in recommendations on if I should just begin the project again using Xcode 12 beta and the new App structure using the new app and scene protocol APIs and the new app.swift file template. Would I be gaining a lot with using this new template for organization and underlying SwiftUI capability versus continuing on with the watch only watchKit extension project structure that I’ve got currently under Xcode 11?

I’ve watched the new What’s New in SwiftUI session and I’m trying to understand the additional benefit I’d get by starting with this new project template from Xcode 12 beta for a Watch only app.

I’m not really planning on releasing this watch only app prior to release of watchOS 7 and the formal build of Xcode 12 so I’m not too worried about getting it out for watchOS 6 in the near term.

Replies

Well, I tried creating a new test project using Xcode 12 Beta and a Watch Only template for watchOS, and, except for the HostingController entry point being replaced by the App.swift entry point and the ExtensionDelegate.swift file being removed, it appears the new project is still a WatchKit app project. The project still has multiple targets including WatchKit App and WatchKit Extension targets. Therefore, I'm still not sure what additional benefit I'd gain starting with a Xcode 12 Beta 100% SwiftUI project template.

Any insights would be welcome.