Installing root certificates in iOS

Hi

1. Can we manually install root certificate to iOS device, is there any restriction, if app gives this option to the user by providing certificate link(to download from remote server) ?

2. Whether Apple recommands to always include root certificates in the app bundle?

3 How MDM can be used get the root certificate and install the same? Please provide apple link which contains detailed steps to use MDM

Thanks

Aneesh Kumar P

Replies

1. Can we manually install root certificate to iOS device, is there any restriction, if app gives this option to the user by providing certificate link (to download from remote server) ?

Clearly you can manually install a root certificate on the device (from Mail, from Safari, via a configuration profile, and so on), so I’m not clear what you’re asking here. What do you mean by “restriction”? Are you specifically concern with App Review? I don’t work for App Review, so I can’t give definitive answers on their behalf, but, speaking personally, I would never use an app that required me to install a custom root certificate.

2. Whether Apple recommands to always include root certificates in the app bundle?

Including a root certificate in your app makes sense in specific circumstances, so it hard to comment on this without knowing more about your high-level gøal.

3. How MDM can be used get the root certificate and install the same?

MDM allows management systems (the MDM server) to install a configuration profile, and such a profile can include a root certificate.

Please provide apple link which contains detailed steps to use MDM

Are you asking how to do this using a management system? Or how to create your own management system that does this? If it’s the former, you’ll have to discuss this with the vendor of the system you’re using. If it’s the latter, you can download MDM documentation from the downloads page, although you’ll only see it there if you’re a member of an Enterprise team.

Taking a step back, you’ve asked a bunch of questions about custom root certificates but haven’t really explained the big picture. If you post more details about your high-level gøals, we may be able to offer more useful advice.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi

What do you mean by “restriction”? Are you specifically concern with App Review? I don’t work for App Review, so I can’t give definitive answers on their behalf, but, speaking personally, I wouldnever use an app that required me to install a custom root certificate.

A. Yes we are concerned with app review.Anyways thanks for providing your insights

Are you asking how to do this using a management system? Or how to create your own management system that does this?

A. Yes,we are interested in how use MDM.Do we need pay to use MDM?

Taking a step back, you’ve asked a bunch of questions about custom root certificates but haven’t really explained the big picture.

A. We are working for a diffrent customer, sorry we can not provide more details on the app as we have signed NDA.We appreciate your time answering our queries.

Thank you

Aneesh Kumar P

Do we need pay to use MDM?

MDM the protocol? Or a specific MDM management system?

On the protocol front, my understanding is that MDM does not engender any fees beyond the requirement that you must be an Enterprise developer.

If you’d like to use an off the shelf MDM management system then you’ll have to talk to that system’s vendor.

Keep in mind that, if you’re working for an enterprise with any significant iOS or macOS deployments, they probably already have an MDM management system in play.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thank you