XCode Editor Autosnapping/scrolling

XCode 8 Beta 2 on a Retina MBP (Mid-2014) run 10.11.5 - using Magic Mouse and a plugged in Apple Extended Keyboard

Has anybody else seen this "ghost-in-the-machine"-like behavior of auto-scrolling an Xcode editor window.

I can have two windows open with swift source code on both. I scroll to the bottom of one window. I Alt-Tab to the other one and the active cursor is on the second editor. The first window will snap up about 20 lines. It's not a full page up. And it has happened even when I'm editing that window. I've also had it happen when I was typing in this post.

The cursor does remain where it's supposed to be but the view scrolls.

Anybody else see this? I couldn't find a post anywhere about it.

Thanks for any help. I can work around it but man is it annoying.

Replies

Seems to have stopped in Xcode 8 Beta 3

same issue here — XCode 8 scrolling jumps randomly on its own.

i'll be working on some part of the code, when it randomly scrolls up a screen.

if i scroll and click to place the cursor in the XCode 8 editor — i'll be sitting there looking at the code contemplating what i am about to write — and the frickin screen scrolls up a screen on its own — this totally breaks the concentration away from what i am working on. very annoying. xcode7 never did this.

there are a number compiler warnings (unused or unmutated variables) — and it is undetermined if they are involved, as within the view to which it scrolls, it shows two of these warnings.

open a swift file in XCode, scroll to some function, click to position the cursor. type a space, type a backspace, hit CMD+S to save the file — wait a couple seconds.. grrr. XCode 8 jumps up about a screen. positioning the line on which you are currently typing on — offscreen⚠

Version: XCode 8 (8A218a) + OSX 10.11.6; MacBook Pro, 8Gb RAM.

I have the exact same problem with exact specifications of the editor. I think this is a bug that they overlooked.

Xcode 8.1 GM Seed (8T61a) still has this issue. As well it scrolls randomly when stopping on breakpoint. It is very annoying.

Agree with you. This issue makes development process unbearable.

This is happening for me using Xcode 8.1 (8B62).

Yeah (sigh) this has been happening through all the betas and still is in 8.3.2. This behavior is really erratic - no telling what triggers it but when it does, there is no stopping. This is such a debilitating problem, such a concentration breaker that it makes me loath working with Xcode.

I filled a bug report but got the typical "bug report is duplicate of other report" from Apple. At this point I am not sure if Apple cares enough to fix their tool chain, if they still care for their developers. Ivory towers!

I'll file a bug on this in hopes it increases its priority.

From what I have observed, it may be tied to comment blocks. I wonder if they are counting the number of actual lines of code the compiler sees vs what is actually physically in the editor window. The more comments you have, the worse it seems.

Editing near the bottom of a file (even one at only 800 lines) is quite tedious.

Just updated to XCode 8.3.3 since this was happening to me in 8.3.2.

Problem is still happening in 8.3.3. This makes using XCode almost unbearable. Please Fix!

Just updated to XCode 13.0 and this is still happening to me. Any fix ?

I'm experiencing this too. Can't seem to clear it... :-(