Xcode Server Bots source control.GIT CPU usage

Hello,

I bought a Mac Mini to use as a Xcode Server. I only installed the required tools like OS X Server, Xcode and have setup some Bots.

I noticed, after some days, the Mini is getting hot and the CPU is quite loaded.

I've 3-4 processed 'com.apple.dt.Xcode.sourcecontrol.Git' that are taking up to 95% CPU (per process) and are quite loading the computer.

Before I bought the Mini, I created a VM Mac as test setup and I noticed the same problem, after some days, the CPU of sourcecontrol.Git jumping to 100% :S

This was still on 10.10 and Xcode 6. I moved to a dedicated device to boost the tests. I've used a clean install for the Mini, all from scratch and everything was setup again manually.

The Mac Mini is up to date with OS X 10.11.2, Xcode 7.2 eg.

I'm running ~5 bots, that are triggered on commit and I didn't had a commit for the last 12 hours :/

In case related: the Mini is also connected with a VPN, but without sending all network traffic over this channel. The Git repo's are available over the normal network.

Anyone else seeing this problem,

or knowing of a solution?

Replies

I'm also seeing this same problem, albeit intermittently. Sometimes we'll go a few months without seeing it, sometimes it'll occur twice in a week. From what i've seen in the logs and sampling the process, I believe it's when it can't communicate with the repository and gets stuck in a loop.

So far the only solution i've found is to kill the processes (they seem to respawn fine when you start another integration) or to restart the machine.

Good to hear I'm not alone here, I was doing a spindump and it looks to be network related indeed, it seems to be stuck in git_remote_connect and SSL_get_error.

Rebooting the computer is not a solution as it's fully encrypted (filevault) so this would require me to enter the password physically before the device can boot.

I'll check into making a script that kills the process when it's stuck. Just tested it by killing the 3 processes that are stuck, and Xcode Server started to make the new integration after some time, so that's working.

I hope Apple will fix this one day, as I'm seeing it for quite some time now.

Anyway, time to script a kill script ^^

This problem occurs for me about every 24 hours. I'm submitted a bug report.

I've been experiencing the same issue. My mac server is running full blast with multiple processes of com.apple.dt.Xcode.sourcecontrol.Git

Same problem here - I have one bot on a MacMini setup with Xcode Server that builds on commit only and there hasn't been a commit in over 2 days.

I currently have 5 processes with the title "com.apple.dt.Xcode.sourcecontrol.Git" that are all over 97% CPU. This is the second time that this has happened over the last couple of weeks and my only indication that something is wrong is hearing the fan going at full blast. This really does not seem to be healthy for the machine.

Latest version of OS-X and Xcode: OS 10.11.3 (El Capitan) with Xcode 7.2.1.

While killing the processes "fixes" this issue it would be great if this didn't occur since I'm not usually nearby the machine to notice that this problem has occurred until it has already been spinning for a lengthy amount of time (hours days?).

This is still happening in xcode server 8 on macos sierra 😟

I am on Xcode 12 and still having the same issue. Anyone found a fix for it.