Universal Links & Chrome

When a domain has onboarded to Universal Links, and you navigate to that website in Safari (in the URL bar), it will not automatically open up the app. You can browse the site in Safari without risk of it ever opening the app; there is some special logic to handle this in either Safari or in iOS.

However, if that same user then begins browsing that same website in the Chrome iOS App, they will be deeplinked into the App whenever they hit a page in the apple-app-site-association file. Chrome is not treated the same way as Safari.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Are there any workarounds you found?

Add a Comment

Replies

This happens to me too. In Chrome tapping a link opens up my app, but with Safari it stays open in Safari and has a little banner on top with the option to open in the app.

I am seeing the same behaviour. In Safari, app wont get launched from the same domain.

But sadly, my requirement is to launch the app from same domain.

My website would present an option to the user to continue in the browser or to launch the app.

The app is configured to launch only from links myDomain.com/ShowInTheApp/* by the entry "/ShowInTheApp/* in paths of the AASA Json.

But even when the above link is on a page that does not fall under the above path, such as myDomain.com/chooseAppORweb.html, the page gets loaded in the same safari tab instead of launching in the app. When I tap the link in safari from another domain, such as NOTmyDomain.com/chooseAppORweb.html, the app would launch just fine, proving the universal link setup is just fine.

Also, from the same domain in Safari, long tapping on the universal link would show the context menu with the entry "Open In [My App Name]" from where I am able to launch the app fine.

So does this mean that I will need another domain dedicated for launching the app alone ?

Is there a apple's documentation that mentions about this behaviour, so that I can have confirmation before going with purchase of another domain with SSL and hosting.

Any hint/info would be much appreciated.

I have the same requirement. I need to open up my app from the same domain. Did you find a solution?