AudioServerPlugIn: HALC_ProxyObject::GetPropertyDataSize ('stm#', 'inpt', 0, AI32) error ('who?')

As soon as my AudioServerPlugIn (as well as all samples from Apple, e.g. NullAudio or SimpleAudio) is installed, I see the following errors in Console.app: default 19:43:34.953638+0200 systemsoundserverd HALC_ProxyObject::GetPropertyDataSize ('stm#', 'inpt', 0, AI32): got an error from the server, 0x77686F3F error 19:43:34.953574+0200 coreaudiod HALS_Object_GetPropertyData_DAI32: the object does not implement the property default 19:43:34.953814+0200 systemsoundserverd HALC_ProxyObject::GetPropertyData ('stm#', 'inpt', 0, DAI32): got an error from the server, 0x77686F3F (Those 4CCs are kAudioDevicePropertyStreams and kAudioObjectPropertyScopeInput) But looking at the code, HasProperty / GetPropertyDataSize / GetPropertyData all seem to be implemented correctly (same as they are for NullAudio) for those, but this error still seems to get thrown. The same is true for the NullAudio sample. (I'm not even sure they're from the AudioServerPlugIn, but if I remove any HAL drivers and relaunch coreaudiod, then the messages disappear. Does anyone know what the actual requests might be? Debugging (or even just logging) from an AudioServerPlugIn seems impossible, so I cannot really debug or log to see which queries arrive at my plugin to see what I might be missing. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

AudioServerPlugIn device defaults HasProperty() to true for kAudioDevicePropertyStreams on both input and output scopes. This means that this error is likely due to a problem with the application, not your plugin. If you think this is a bug in the system feel free to report it at Feedback Assistant.
Thanks. As far as I can see (from following in Console.app after kickstart coreaudiod), this happens when "the system" is enumerating or activating the available audio devices, but who is actually responsible for that query is not clear (the logs seems to be spit out in bulk after CoreAudio has finished all its device queries).

Can anyone else replicate the noted behavior running Apple's NullAudio device? Because right now I cannot even clearly identify *which device* the failed query is associated with...
Is this preventing you from running your device? My first pass on reading the log you provided is that the system app systemsoundserverd is requesting a wrong property from the HAL object. That should not be relevant to your device, though.