why two developer certificates all of a sudden, and which do I use?

Hi folks,

Hope you'll entertain a probably simple question.

I am a hobbyist making free iOS apps for healthcare professionals. I only do iOS. For years, I only recall seeing a single developer certificate whenever I went to update certificates, app ID's, provisioning profiles, etc. But recently, I see two certificates.

I don't know why this won't accept screenshots, so I'll type pretty much what I see...

Certificates

[checkbox] Select All

[checkbox] Joshua Steinberg (iOS Development)

[checkbox] Joshua Steinberg (Development) For use in Xcode 11 or later

One seems iOS specific, and I only develop for iOS, so I'm inclined to just check that box when I make a new or renewed provisioning profile or new app ID. On the other hand, the other one seems Xcode 11 specific, and I only use Xcode 11, so I'm inclined to check that one. So which box do I check, the first one which is iOS specific, the second one which is Xcode 11 specific but not iOS specific, or both?

If it contributes to your advice, I have recently gotten "loss of keychain access" warnings when updating some (but not all) older apps as I prepare for Apple's June 30 deadline for updated apps.

Thanks,

-- Josh

Replies

Developing for iOS may now allow for MacOS as well with Catalyst.

I assume that's the reason for the new certificate.

What is the expiration date of the 2 (Development is probably later expiration than iOS Development).

If you develop with XCode 11, I would use Development certificate now on.

Two of what kind? Normally, there should be at least two in the keychain; one for dev, one for dist. Not sure what you mean by 'Xcode 11 specific'...

See this link for types:https://developer.apple.com/support/certificates/

What do you mean by which box to check when working with them? Where do you see that? Are you using auto or manual code signing?

>have recently gotten "loss of keychain access" warnings

See if this 5 yr. old tech note helps: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1726/_index.html

Thanks for your reply. And thanks for telling me exactly how to be more specific.

I'm not looking at my keychain right now. I'm looking at Certificates in my account at Developer.Apple.com (address https://developer.apple.com/account/resources/certificates/list to be specifc)

I see 4 lines of certificates. The colum headers are NAME, TYPE, PLATFORM, CREATED BY, and EXPIRATION. In the order of these headers, here's what I see.

Joshua Steinberg, iOS Distribution, iOS, Joshua Steinberg, 2020/9/27

Joshua Steinberg, iOS Development, iOS, Joshua Steinberg, 2020/9/27

Joshua Steinberg (joshmac) [device name of my MacBookPro], Development, All, Joshua Steinberg, 2020/9/30

Joshua Steinberg, Distribution, iOS, Joshua Steinberg, 2020/12/30

In my Keychain Access under My Certificates, I see

Apple Distribution: Joshua Steinberg (my team ID), exp 12/30/2020

Apple Development: Joshua Steinberg (a different ID, probably mine since I didn't use team ID in early days), exp 9/30/2020

iPhone Developer: Joshua Steinberg (the ID noted in 2nd line), exp 9/27/2020

iPhone Distribution: Joshua Steinberg (my team ID), exp 9/27/2020

Hopefully this helps you and others advise me.

Thanks,

-- Josh