Is it possible to compile a NEHotspotHelper project before Apple approve my API request?

I am now implementing a project which will use 'NEHotspotHelper' API on the platform 'Xamarin.forms'.

I know that this API requires approval from Apple. So I have already sent the request and waiting for the response.

I also know that before we get Apple's approval, the APP can not be uploaded to the App Store Connect.

If I do the following settings and write the networking code in advance, is it possible to compile the project to the device(iPhone) and have some tests on the networking function?

1. Apply for special approval.

2. Modify the provisioning profile and add it to the Keychain(haven't got the newest approval, just choose the capability we need)

checked with Access WiFi Information, Hotspot, Network Extensions, and Wireless Accessory Configuration.

3. Update Entitlement.plist

3.1 Set "com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotHelper" to true

3.2 Enable "Access WiFi Information, Hotspot, Network Extensions, and Wireless Accessory Configuration".

4. Update Info.plist

4.1 set "Required background modes" with value "network-authentication"

Replies

Is it possible to compile a

NEHotspotHelper
project before Apple approve my API request?

No.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi, Eskimo.

Thank you for your clearly reply!

But I have just tried to build my project half an hour ago.

The Build is complete. But the deployment is failed with message

(0xE8008016) The executable was signed with invalid entitlment.

So I want to make sure that. Before Apple approve my request. I can compile my project. But I can't deploy to any device. <-- Is this right?

If I want to test my code on my own device(Not publish to Store. Just test on local device)

Do I must wait for Apple's approvement my API request?

But I can't deploy to any device.

That’s correct. For this to work the entitlement must be whitelisted by a provisioning profile. If the NE approval folks grants you access to this API, they will enable a template in your developer account that you use to create such a profile.

Do I must wait for Apple's approvement my API request?

Yes.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"