Failed to load owners error using GitHub

I am just starting out trying to connect Xcode to Github, but I keep getting this peculiar error, saying "Failed to load owners" whenever I try to create a remote repository from within Xcode under the Source Control Manager.

I cannot seem to find anything online regarding this, and I cannot for the world notice anything being wrong with my GitHub account. The account itself is also accepted by Xcode (successfully added under the Accounts pane in Preferences).

You can see a screenshot of the error here. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Massimo

Replies

After having had a chat with a kind representative from GitHub Developer Support, it seems like it in my case had to do with my old username and password credentials that was saved on my machine. I quote:

Sometimes applications can use these old credentials, even if you replace it with the personal access token.

Credentials for git authentication are stored in the Keychain App, and git passes these onto GitHub when pushing changes to a Repository.

I'd suggest checking in the Keychain App for any records with the name

GitHub

If they exist, delete those and try the push again.

Git should ask you to enter your username and password and once you re-enter them, the correct credentials should be stored in your Keychain app for future use.

So there you have it. This in fact solved my problem. It could also have had something to do with the personal access token that might not be set up with the proper permissions. If you have the same problem as I had you could also check out the scopes on your personal access token to verify it has access to everything you need. Step 7 on the help guide below has a screenshot of what that looks like:

https://help.github.com/en/github/authenticating-to-github/creating-a-personal-access-token-for-the-command-line

Was having the same problem. I didn't have anything from Github in my Keychain – the problem was with my Personal Access Token. I had left all of the checkboxes empty at first, but then re-signed in after checking all the checkboxes to allow for permissions to be granted through the token ... it worked right away after that!

[https://help.github.com/en/github/authenticating-to-github/creating-a-personal-access-token-for-the-command-line]

Definitely second viewing this link if you are having this issue.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of jshn Down vote reply of jshn
  • Thank you this worked for me!

Add a Comment

I got the same issue; the reason is GitHub Token get expire every 30 days, so in this point you need to update a new Token key that's all. I made these changes, and now everything works grate.