Rendering WKWebView Into a MTLTexture

I am trying get WKWebView into a MTLTexture for the purpose of sending pixel data of the web view to an encoder of a live streaming service. After spending some time with the documentation, I have come up with three ideas for loading WKWebView into a MTLTexture.

Idea 1

My first idea is to utilize WKWebView’s `takeSnapshot` function, which returns a snapshot in the form of a `UIImage`. Specifically, I was thinking that I could call `takeSnapshot` on a timer that is synchronized to the display’s refresh rate, access the `cgImage` property of the returned `UIImage`, and pass the `CGImage` to the `newTexture` function of an `MTKTextureLoader` to acquire a `MTLTexture` containing the pixels of the web view. However, this approach does not work because the texture loader fails to load the `CGImage` into a `MTLTexture` (as far as I can tell no error is logged). Moreover, I am concerned that `takeSnapshot` may not be performant enough for my purposes. Does anyone know how to solve the issue that arises when trying to create a `MTLTexture` from the `CGImage` and what are your general thoughts of this approach?

You cand find my implementation of this here: https://paste.ofcode.org/AaF9XfCiXumX4hikBiPCjp

Idea 2

My second idea is to leverage the `drawHierarchy` function of the `UIView` class from which `WKWebView` inherits. The implementation of this approach is equivalent to the implementation of the former except that `takeSnapshot` in the `handleDisplayRefresh` function is replaced by a call to `drawHierarchy`:

In this case, the texture loader managed to create a `MTLTexture` from the `CGImage`, but the apps CPU usage fluctuates between 40-70% on an iPhone 6s.

You can find my implementation of this idea here: https://paste.ofcode.org/ZYfy25hAAs9zfnBXjrXBCS

Idea 3

My final idea was to subclass WKWebView and override its inherited `layerClass` property to return a `CAMetalLayer`. I then thought that I could invoke `CAMetalLayer.nextDrawable()` to get a CAMetalDrawable object that held my desired MTLTexture in its `texture` property. Of course, at closer inspection I realized that the MTLTexture of the returned drawable does not contain the pixel data of the web view, but rather is a blank slate onto which one can draw what one wants to appear on the `CAMetalLayer`. Nevertheless, in the documentation for the `CAMetalLayer` class it says:

"A CAMetalLayer creates a pool of Metal drawable objects (CAMetalDrawable). At any given time, one of these drawable objects contains the contents of the layer."

To me this indicates that there exists a drawable whose texture property indeed contains the contents of the web view. Alas, I do not see any publicly available API to access it. Does anyone know of a technique that would allow me to access the drawable that contains the web view’s pixels?

Lastly, any other ideas for how I could get the pixel data of WKWebView into a MTLTexture (or, otherwise, just the raw pixel data) would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

I'm not sure if this is an issue on iOS or not, but the takesnapshot method has issues with not displaying certain types of content on macOS. I think it's any content that rendering into a different surface? Things like youtube videos etc don't show up in the snapshot at all.

On top of that I can only seem to get around 30fps out of it.

I've never found an acceptable solution that works 100% and performs well. It's possible takesnapshot is better on iOS but I would test the content limitations there too.

Unfortunately, due to the way we do out-of-process rendering (for security reasons), there are some issues with getting the WKWebView's display into a MTLTexture as you discovered.

Taking a snapshot would be the most reliable option but, as you said, even that doesn't work perfectly.

We'll consider this as a bug report to improve this feature. Thanks.

We'll consider this as a bug report to improve this feature.

If this bug has been fixed?

For your idea 1, I was struggling quite a bit but eventually got it working. I had to use a local MTLTexture to verify it's working. Here is the snippet:

wbView.takeSnapshot(with: configuration, completionHandler: { (snapshotImage: UIImage?, error: Error?) in

if error != nil {
        return
    }

guard let snapshotImage = snapshotImage else { return }
    guard let cgImage = snapshotImage.cgImage else { return }
    let device = myRenderer.getDevice()
    let textureLoader = MTKTextureLoader(device: device)

guard let texture = try? textureLoader.newTexture(cgImage: cgImage)
    else { return }

// Do something with `texture`...
})