Why do I always have to delete Xcode and reinstall for updates?

It's so frustrating. Version after version, when updating I have to uninstall Xcode and re-install it. This has happened across multiple OS versions (am on the latest version).

I'm not all that Mac proficient (mainly just use it for development). Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? Pretty much all i find when googling is to uninstall and re-install.

Replies

What is the problem ? What error message do you get ?

Have you enough disk space available (may be 60 GB or more) ?

Hi. No error message. The update circle simply never completes. It usually gets really close (past 3/4) and just stalls. This last time it sat there for over 12 hours. I restarted the computer and tried again, but just got stuck again. In the end I had to delete Xcode and re-install it completely. I've had to do this numerous times in the past. (If there is an error message somewhere, I don't know where to look for it.)

I have 787.07 GB of 1TB available.

Whenever I google this issue, people always say to uninstall and re-install. Clearly it's not happening to just me.

Perhaps it is a permissions issue. It sounds like there is a problem in the installation. There are error messages, unfortunately, there are lots of them. You can try running Console.app during the download. Or maybe try the "log" tool afterwards. There is an awful lot of noise in there.