Can I delete folders in iOS DeviceSupport?

Hi

I have a 256 GB machine which is running out of room. It turns out that ~/Library/Developer/XCode/iOS DeviceSupport consumes 121 GB of that (according to CleanMyMac X).
That folder is divided into a number of subfolders which must serve each version of iOS: E.g. you have 13.0 (17A577), 13.1 (17A844), 13.1.2 (17A844), etc. It starts at 7.1.2 and goes up to 13.2.3. There are 56 in all, and they occupy about 3 GB each.

Should I just delete all the ones I am not going to use to free up space? Or is there some setting in XCode that controls that?
TIA
Mark

Replies

I have been brave and deleted all but the last of the version of iOS 7 - 11, and now I have a decent amount more of GB available.
I ran XCode and it said it needed to download something, but it wasn't much in terms of GB.

So far so good. I have installed the latest version of XCode. When I ran it, it gave the normal message about installing something, and I still only have the ones I left from the older OSes.

Xcode needs the ~/Library/Developer/XCode/iOS DeviceSupport folder to symbolicate your crash logs. You can delete the complete folder if you want. The next time you connect a device for debugging Xcode is going to copy the symbols from it.

For more info check out: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29930198/can-i-delete-data-from-the-ios-devicesupport-directory