Xcode asks "install additional components?" for existing Xcode 10 installed app

I have several older Xcodes on my development Mac. Each app bundle is named with its version number (ex. "Xcode_10.3.0").

Now I've installed Xcode 11(GM 2, same build number as current 11.0 release) and have used it several times with existing iOS projects and one new (minimal) iOS 13.0 project.

Today when I try to launch my install of the older Xcode 10.3 it asks "Install additional required components?"

This 10.3 install has already been used (for months) developing and debugging software. It already has the 'additional components' it needed at that time.

What is Xcode trying to do? Will saying 'yes' here damage my 10.3 install -- or perhaps my 11.0 install?

One possible factor: today I renamed the Xcode 11 app bundle from "Xcode_11.gm.2" to "Xcode_11.0.0" to reflect that is the identical build (11A420a). The renamed '11' app launches as before; it's the older Xcodes (10.3, 10.2.1, 10.1.0, 9.4.1) that each insist on (re)installing components before they will proceed.

(All Xcodes have been installed from .xip files; none are App Store installs. This is on a 2015 MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.)

Accepted Reply

I went thru the same thing as you recently, including non-store installs & mojave, and while I don't think there is any impact* to the seemingly redundant components installs, I don't think you can avoid having them repeat.

And no matter how many Xcodes you have installed, they all read from the same prefs plist. That may be what's behind the repeated components install dialog, where the renamed Xcode defeats default paths, etc.

Differences w/Xcode 11 now, is that where previous versions were mandated to run from your boot drive, 11 bifurcates it's various files and is no longer similarly tied down, and *Application Loader has gone MIA.

Might want to see what happens if you xip 11 to an non-boot drive, just for grins, but if you insist on keeping them all, I would not rename the latest.

And about 11 gm 2, note the 'store' version is out (also via xip on more downloads) and is build11A420A. I'd ditch other 11s, treating them as betas...

Replies

I went thru the same thing as you recently, including non-store installs & mojave, and while I don't think there is any impact* to the seemingly redundant components installs, I don't think you can avoid having them repeat.

And no matter how many Xcodes you have installed, they all read from the same prefs plist. That may be what's behind the repeated components install dialog, where the renamed Xcode defeats default paths, etc.

Differences w/Xcode 11 now, is that where previous versions were mandated to run from your boot drive, 11 bifurcates it's various files and is no longer similarly tied down, and *Application Loader has gone MIA.

Might want to see what happens if you xip 11 to an non-boot drive, just for grins, but if you insist on keeping them all, I would not rename the latest.

And about 11 gm 2, note the 'store' version is out (also via xip on more downloads) and is build11A420A. I'd ditch other 11s, treating them as betas...