What is the blessed way to create a macOS trial application for the App Store?

I want to create an app for the Mac App Store that offers a X-day free trial.

I see two conflicting informations on the web:

1. some say that I should create a non-consumable inapp purchase of $0, using the name "X-Day Trial". Then, if I am correct, when the app starts I must present a dialog to the user with a button "START TRIAL", or something like that. This button will purchase the $0 inapp and the trial begins. Regarding to this, can this $0 be purchased automatically without user intervention, so the trial will start the first time the user runs the app, without any intervetion?
  2. some other say I should create a subscription inapp purchase for the regular price, offering X days of free usage to start. Again, the dialog must be presented to the user and the user must commit to pay.
  3. I can think a third way. The app starts, a timer starts counting. After X days, the app shows a dialog for purchase. This can be done, but I am not sure Apple will like it.

My question is: will #3 be approved by Apple for the Mac App Store? if not, are the other two methods ok?

Replies

Might want to review your plan starting here: Using the Freemium Business Model.

Top level on all models: https://developer.apple.com/app-store/business-models/