Mac get stalled when building in Xcode

I have an issue with Xcode. When I do a build and run the Mac got stalled and I must force restart it by holding the power button. I found out that it may be related with storyboard with many view controllers (7-8). If decrease the number of view controllers in the storyboard the issue disappears. I have a powerful MacBook Pro 15 mid 2014 that is very fast with all the programs I run. What’s the problem here? Is that a bug?

Accepted Reply

I checked on the web and I found out that the issue is probably related with SCNView and ARSCNView. Indeed, I’ve got this issue just with 2 projects and both make a large use of those views. I have other projects with many view controllers but without SceneKit or ARKit and those worked fine. The solution seems to be to remove all the SCNView/ARSCNView from the storyboard and create it by code. I didn’t try it yet, I’ll let you know if it will work. Anyway I have the last version of Xcode and macOS. 16 GB or RAM.

Replies

8 view controllers is nothing.

But maybe you have a problem with one of the view controllers.

Which version of OS, of XCode ?

How much RAM ?

I checked on the web and I found out that the issue is probably related with SCNView and ARSCNView. Indeed, I’ve got this issue just with 2 projects and both make a large use of those views. I have other projects with many view controllers but without SceneKit or ARKit and those worked fine. The solution seems to be to remove all the SCNView/ARSCNView from the storyboard and create it by code. I didn’t try it yet, I’ll let you know if it will work. Anyway I have the last version of Xcode and macOS. 16 GB or RAM.

Yes it was that way! Programmatically creating the SCNView solved the issue. Apple should solve this "bug" with storyboard.