Text() with .lineLimit greater than 1 adding vertical spacing to the encapsulating view

I'm building an app using SwiftUI that is centered around a list of articles which are either a new standalone topic, or which have a hierarchical relationship with an ancestor which was originally one of those new standalone topics.

The default view in the List{} structure shows just the titles of the articles, but when tapping on an entry which shows the threaded titles, they're all expanded, via the following logic:

if showDetail {
     ForEach(self.articles, id: \.self) { article in
          VStack {
               if article.id != self.articles[0].id {
                    Text(article.title)
                         .font(.caption)
                         .lineLimit(3)
               }
               Text(article.summary)
                    .lineLimit(20)
               }
          }
     } else {
          ForEach(self.articles, id: \.self) { article in
               if article.id != self.articles[0].id {
                    Text("• \(article.title)")
               }
          }
     }

And it works great! Except for one thing: when expanded, the encompassing view gets enough padding at the top and the bottom for several lines of text.. If I drop the article summary's .lineLimit to 1, the padding goes away, but at 3 and above the extra padding is visible and continues to grow until at 20, I get effectivley something like 5-7 blank lines at the top and the bottom.

Anyone else seen this? I'm considering filing a radar, but I want to make sure this isn't expected behavior first.