Using Optimistic DNS with NSURLSession

So I'm reading through the WWDC slides from this year's excellent session "Optimizing Your App for Today’s Internet"

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/714/

I see some discussion of "optimistic DNS", and use of the kDNSServiceFlagsAllowExpiredAnswers flag.

Is there any reasonable way to utilize this capability at the NSURLSession level? I don't see any documented high level API. Also, If I run DNS queries with the DNSService APIs & utilize this flag, will cached (and potentially expired values) get picked up by the higher level APIs?

I understand the failover implications.

Replies

Is there any reasonable way to utilize this capability at the

NSURLSession
level?

No. My recommendation is that you file an enhancement request request for such an option. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

rdar://45823730

Hi Quinn,
I just wanted to confirm that it is still the case that we can't control the use of Optimistic DNS via NSURLSession level APIs?

My other question is whether there's any way (for NSURLSession) to tell after the fact whether it ended up using an expired answer to establish the connection used to obtain the response?

[is it] still the case that we can't control the use of Optimistic DNS via NSURLSession level APIs?

Yes.

[is there a] way (for NSURLSession) to tell after the fact whether it ended up using an expired answer to establish the connection used to obtain the response?

Not explicitly. I thought that there might be DNS info in NSURLSessionTaskMetrics but I took a look just now and that’s not the case. You might be able to infer something from domainLookupStartDate and domainLookupEndDate, but that’s not very satisfactory.

If this is important to you, you should file an enhancement request for it. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Finally, if optimistic DNS is causing you grief, please make sure to file a bug with the details. Our overall experience with optimistic DNS so far has been very positive, which makes any problems all the more interesting.

Again, please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
Thanks very much for the quick reply Quinn. We're still investigating whether our problem is due to Optimistic DNS, but it seems to have started (and be only occurring) with iOS 13 clients (Android and older iOS are fine). We're seeing unexpected traffic from these clients to non-active (but still on-line) sites that the load balancers/DNS supposedly are directing traffic away from, well after TTL expiry.

When we've gathered more data I'll file a radar if we think it's most likely Optimistic DNS.

Under Optimistic DNS, when iOS starts establishing the network connection (but before the DNS response arrives), how far along the connection establishment process will it proceed, especially if the connection route is faster than the DNS query response?

eg. If iOS successfully establishes a connection to a last known 'good', but expired IP address will it allow the app to start using it, but then if DNS replies shortly afterwards indicating the address is expired:
a) will iOS terminate and re-establish a new connection to the updated IP address (not sure how NSURLSession delegates would present this to the app)?
b) just continue using the old IP address for the current connection?

I'm guessing b), but in that case does the Optimistic DNS update its cached IP address to the new one? (It hasn't yet actually connected to this and might not flag it as 'good' though) or just keep the old one as the last known 'good' address. If the latter, then it potentially means the cached address will struggle to be updated if DNS is typically a bit slower than the connection time to the old IP address.

Hi Quinn, a couple more questions, if you have time:
  • Does Optimistic DNS only cache one 'good' IP address for a given host, or is it possible that it might choose from amongst a pool of recently 'good' ones?

• Once Optimistic DNS has cached a 'good' IP address, does it remain cached permanently until a different 'good' IP address replaces it, or do cached IP addresses have a lifetime after which they're discarded?

I'm asking these because we have seen at least one scenario where a client is happily making connections to one site, DNS hasn't changed on our end, and then the next connection from the same client two seconds later goes to the second site. My current mental model of Optimistic DNS doesn't explain this, but I'm sure there are nuances I don't know about - but if this sounds like bug-report material then I'll collate it.

Regards,
Rob
Hi Quinn,
We've instrumented a build of our app with NSURLSessionTaskMetrics to analyse the connection timings to try to infer whether Optimistic DNS is being used.

What's puzzling is that all the timings from the metrics (mostly from iOS 13.5.1 clients) indicate that the connectStartDate timestamp is the same as or just after the domainLookupEndDate timestamp, which would seem to indicate that Optimistic DNS isn't being used.

Do you know if there are any scenarios where Optimistic DNS is disabled by default?
I've posted FB8270078 (Ability to disable and monitor Optimistic DNS in URLSession), along the lines of the above-mentioned Radar.