iOS 11 - write to nfc

Hey,

I have created an app which is able to read nfc tags.

Is it possible to write to nfc tags with iOS11 and iPhone7/8/X, too?

I found nothing in the developer documentation about writing nfc tags.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Accepted Reply

Tags can be read, not written.

You can get details here :

h ttps://gototags.com/blog/apple-ios-11-supports-reading-nfc-tags-iphone-7-iphone-8-core-nfc/

What NFC functions are available?

Only reading NFC tags is supported in iOS 11, not writing NFC tags or card emulation.

Why just support reading NFC tags and not writing?

In our experience, regular consumers just don’t encode NFC tags. Only geeks (like us) and a few verticals support it. In 99% of projects we have worked on (millions of NFC tags), the tags are pre-encoded before delivery to the consumer. The implication of this is that NFC tags must be NDEF encoded in order to be read by an iPhone.

Replies

Tags can be read, not written.

You can get details here :

h ttps://gototags.com/blog/apple-ios-11-supports-reading-nfc-tags-iphone-7-iphone-8-core-nfc/

What NFC functions are available?

Only reading NFC tags is supported in iOS 11, not writing NFC tags or card emulation.

Why just support reading NFC tags and not writing?

In our experience, regular consumers just don’t encode NFC tags. Only geeks (like us) and a few verticals support it. In 99% of projects we have worked on (millions of NFC tags), the tags are pre-encoded before delivery to the consumer. The implication of this is that NFC tags must be NDEF encoded in order to be read by an iPhone.

It is a pity that writing NFC tags is not supported. Writing NFC tags can be very useful to push some configuration data to the device hosting the NFC chip (a WiFi password for example). Sometimes it is very difficult to understand what is the reasoning behind this kind of decisions.

Thanks,

Anna.

Sometimes it is very difficult to understand what is the reasoning behind this kind of decisions.

I don’t have any inside insight on this specific issue, but in a lot of cases it’s simply a matter of time. Like any developer, Apple has to balance an initial feature set against a ship date.

As always, if you'd like to see such support added in the future, I encourage you to file an enhancement request describing your requirements. While we may have seen similar requests before, your bug report will allow you to express your needs in your own terms, and allow iOS engineering to gauge the level of demand.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I agree Anna. It sure would be nice to write to NFC tags. I have an application which needs to set time to the device as well as calibrate the device. We'd also like to be able to reflash the firmware via NFC - all of these are operations we can do with our Android app but can't with an iPhone.

It sure would be nice to write to NFC tags.

Are your bug number is?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"