Xcode 9 - Instruments permission denied

I've been researchng this and can't find any definitive solution.

Instruments continues to exhibit the following on two different machines but not on a third.

Target failed to run.

Permission to debug com.xxxx.*** was denied.

Invoking Xcode->Product->Profile fails set up Instruments correctly. As does any other Instruments launch / connection strategy that I have tried.

I get the same error on my MacBook and Mac Pro but NOT on another MacBook.

Can anyone please explain what is going on and more importantly how to fix it?

Thanks

Jason

Replies

Same here with Xcode 9.0 (9A235)

Same with me too. Xcode 9.0 (9A2350

I have been struggling with the same problem, on XCode 9

Been asking around, but no one has been able to advise of a fix.

I am considering rolling back to XCode 8 and installing the new iOS SDK till the time this issue is resolved on X9

I have the same problem too using Xcode 9.0 (9A2350). It does not work with simulators or devices for me. Does anyone already wrote a bug report?

Now I have found an easy "fix" for this issue!

This morning I just installed macOS High Sierra. After this installation I started Xcode which started installing additional components. When finished Xcode again shows the recent projects (which were empty before) and now debugging on a real device is again possible. And I also started instruments again in the hope that something changed.... I could attach to the simulator and start measurements without any problems!

Not sure, but using macOS Sierra all this did just not work. Seems like there are some small incompatibilities between Xcode and macOS Sierra. At least for me installing macOS High Sierra solved this issue.

Best regards,

Jürgen

The simple fix to this issues is Goto Xcode Preferences->Locations-> and set the command Line Tools which is missing. If you set this issues will be fixed. No need to install high sierra.

This did not help me. The command line tools were already set to my Xcode 9 installation. I tried switching away and back to XC9 and I still could not run Instruments with the simulator.

I used `xcode-select` to do this, and the Locations Preferences panel shows Xcode 9 properly selected.

Unfortunately, in my case, it didn't help... I'm still seeing the "Permission to debug «application» was denied" error. I'm also on a system at work which is managed, so my options are some what limited.

Has anyone found another solution to this which doesn't involve upgrading to High Sierra?

In this case I had a installed version of Xcode GM already on my mac which I removed from my applications folder and also emptyed trash. Made a fresh install of Xcode 9. Remove any other version of Beta from you applications folder. The soul problem is caused when we put Xcode 9 on top of Xcode GM which messup with path and commandline tools. I have a simular issues and I Removed Xcode GM and emptyed trash made a fresh install of Xcode 9 which even asked for Installing components.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me...

I reset my simulator content and it worked for me.

After restarting my MacBook, it did work!

Restarting Mac fixed this.

Rebooting worked for me too, where resetting the simulator didn't. (macOS Sierra/Xcode 9.0)

Rebooting worked for me, too. I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 and Xcode 9.0 (9A235).

My Command Line Tools (in Preferences > Locations) was already set to Xcode 9. I didn't reinstall any software (or upgrade to High Sierra) or reset the simulator.

Also, I tried downloading an iOS Development Provisioning Profile from my developer account, as suggested by Instruments Help, but that didn't work either (I now believe that's for running Instruments with an actual device, not a simulator).