Device with iOS11 not visible in safari web inspector

Hello,

I've recently installed the iOS11 beta on my iPhone 7 device to test our Cordova application on it and make sure everything is fine. The first thing I noticed is that on Mac, Safari does not see the device, even though web inspector is activated in the device. Without it I am not able to debug the second issue: we have a position absolute element displayed in one of the pages and when scrolling down and up the element or its children disappear randomly. This issue can be found on StackOverflow and other forums but the recommended fix ( applying transform translate3d(0, 0, 0) to the element does not work.

Also note that in the simulator for ios11, the web inspector is able to see the webview.

Accepted Reply

Try using the latest Safari Preview, instead.

Replies

Try using the latest Safari Preview, instead.

I had the same problem, and no luck with Safari Preview or Safari 11 from the osx beta, although I haven't checked again recenlty. I started using an adaptor and debugging with Chrome dev tools. If you search on the web for remotedebug-ios-webkit-adapter and find your way to github, the instructions were quite easy to follow.

I've got the same problem, and it really s~u~c~k~s 😟

Running:

• Xcode Version 9.0 (9A235)
  • Simulator Version 10.0 (SimulatorApp-829.6 CoreSimulator-494.13.6)
  • Safari Version 11.0 (12604.1.38.1.7)
  • MacOS 10.12.6 (16G29)

Safari instances running on Devices in Simiulator no longer appear under Safari's Develop menu. Worked fine previously.

Thanks! This really helped plus I prefer Chrome dev tools anyway :-)

I have the exact same issue. My iPhone (SE) was working beautifully with the Developer menu in Safari, but as soon as I upgraded to the latest version of iOS (11), it stopped working. I can see my phone briefly appear on the Developer menu, but it then disappears :-(

Updating safari to version 11 fixed the issue and now i can debug from safari like before.

I had this same problem even with latest versions of everything. I closed and re-opened both Safari and iOS Simulator and it just started working. Maybe upgrading is only helping people because it forces the close/reopen that helped me.

This solved my issue!

I'v tried to reset "Trust computer..." option through https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202778#change
and for now this problem is fixed for me!

Wow fine-sv, many many thanks!!

I've been trying for months to fix the issue.

It'd have a console error like:

error 12:48:36.523919 +1100 Safari Technology Preview RWIServiceDeviceConnection: No connection to start

error 12:48:36.598996 +1100 Safari Technology Preview RWIServiceLockdownConnection: failed to read bytes from webinspectord, so disconnecting: Invalid argument

The steps I followed were in that Apple article.

On your phone: General > Reset > Location & Privacy, accept it

On safari tech preview: develop > device name > 'use for development'; then go back to same device name and click the webpage name.

No more crashing development session! Seriously been debugging things from the console output (which doesn't show javascript objects unless you stringify, no stack traces, etc!)

Man, I tried everything, from closing all tabs to using wireless connection. Nothing worked.

Resetting the trusted devices helped, thank you fine-sv

I can now debug my iPad mini 2 with iOS 12.5.1 again from my MacBook Pro 2020 M1 with macOS Big Sur 11.2.2.

Okay, I rejoiced too soon. After 10 minutes, the same problem occurred again.

download "Safari Technology Preview" from here. https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/ In there everything seems to work - even in simulators.