Xcode7 beta 2 - ios simulator - installation failed - invalid argument

After messing around with some resource bundles (not out of the ordinary), all of a sudden Xcode7 Beta 2 refuses to launch the iOS simulator, claiming:

Installation Failed

Invalid Argument

Worse still, when I now fall back to Xcode 6, the same problem occurs..

After digging around, cleaning and removing derived data files.. I discovered a few mentions that this *could* be to do with the Bundle Identifier in the project .plist file..

It looked ok to me, but after making a small modification to this file - BOOM - It worked! I was back in business..

Well, actually.. it seems that was short lived. I am now back where I started, and attempting to refresh the project plist file now has absolutely no bearing.. perhaps it was a fluke.

Anyone else have issues with this error? Any suggestions to resolve?

As a seconday issue, but perhaps could be the cause of the above..

When I try to run this on a real iPhone - the linker now decides...

CodeSign /Users/{removed}/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GL_Test-gujkqiizmkddpteqbciuimjdpwbm/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/GL\ Demo\ iOS.app

cd /Users/{removed}/Dropbox/Xcode/GameDev

export CODESIGN_ALLOCATE=/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/codesign_allocate

export PATH="/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"

Signing Identity: "iPhone Developer: {removed}@{removed} ({removed})"

Provisioning Profile: "iOSTeam Provisioning Profile: Demo-iOS"

(547f3077-0bb0-4afd-9d62-19b20a689769)

/usr/bin/codesign --force --sign {removed} --entitlements /Users/{removed}/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GL_Test-gujkqiizmkddpteqbciuimjdpwbm/Build/Intermediates/GL\ Test.build/Debug-iphoneos/GL\ Demo\ iOS.build/GL\ Demo\ iOS.app.xcent /Users/timk/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GL_Test-gujkqiizmkddpteqbciuimjdpwbm/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/Demo\ iOS.app

/Users/timk/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GL_Test-gujkqiizmkddpteqbciuimjdpwbm/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/Demo iOS.app: code object is not signed at all

In subcomponent: /Users/timk/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GL_Test-gujkqiizmkddpteqbciuimjdpwbm/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/Demo iOS.app/ColorTexture.vert

Command /usr/bin/codesign failed with exit code 1

So, it doesn't like ColorTexture.vert

If I remove this bundle resource (yes, this is a bundle resource - it isn't code, so not sure why it needs signing).. then I get the same error on something more obtuse, outside of user land.

Note, this was all working just fine when I first started with Xcode 7 beta 2... But it's decided it no longer wants to play.

Any suggestions?

Note that I'm not a registered developer - i've been using the new Free Provisioning in Xcode 7

Accepted Reply

Update: Xcode doesn't like it when you have a referenced directory called 'Resources' within your resource bundle.. but instead of complaining about this, you end up wasting half the day trying to resolve all the other issues that it throws up at you instead (see previous two posts).

All is now resolved and working as it should.

Replies

Ok, some small amount of progress.

Turns out Xcode didn't like me having two resource groups of the same name - despite each of them being targeted for different projects, it seemed to get quite confused.

The other complication, xcode doesn't like having a referenced directory under 'supporting files' - it seems that, while the directory is added into the 'Copy Bundle Resources' phase, it causes the code signing to choke.

The only way I can get this project to build is to add all my resources in a regular group - without any directory hierarchy at all..

I don't much like the idea of a flat hierarchy (well, not so much a hierarchy at all)..

I've very little experience with this - is it a limit of the Xcode 7 beta? Or does directories within a resource bundle simply not supported at all?

Update: Xcode doesn't like it when you have a referenced directory called 'Resources' within your resource bundle.. but instead of complaining about this, you end up wasting half the day trying to resolve all the other issues that it throws up at you instead (see previous two posts).

All is now resolved and working as it should.

Thank you! This worked for me!

Thank you!!!! Only wasted 4 hours 😀 instead of a whole day so yay

Pardon me for asking, but I'm very new to xcode and programming in general. I'm not sure what one has to do to make the error referenced above (installation failed: invalid argument) go away. I see that you mention that "Xcode doesn't like it when you have a referenced directory called 'Resources' within your resource bundle.."...so what exactly should I do and where do I find the "resource bundle"?